Molly GallagherApril 18, 2024

Emma Rosenberg and Penelope TrottApril 18, 2024

Illustration by Zach Dinowitz
Endless screentime: The cost of social media platforms ignoring teenagers’ wellbeing

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a phone in my pocket with some type of social media platform downloaded, whether it was TikTok, Snapchat...

Cheer goes to national competition

The competition cheer team was successful in Las Vegas over the weekend of Feb. 9 at the JAMZ National Cheer Competition.

The team took home second place for performance cheer and fourth place for show cheer. Performance cheer involves chants and props while show cheer requires music and stunts.

STANDING ON STAGE at the JAMZ National Cheer Competition, the cheer team assembles itself before starting its sideline cheer routine. The team later placed second.

According to co-captain Becca Middleton, the team normally begins practice for show cheer in August, but this year the team started in December, leaving them with less than two months to prepare.

“After we went to a pom cheer competition, the team really missed show and decided to do it,” Middleton said.

The team added a show routine on top of their pom, all girl, and performance routines.

“We originally didn’t want the stress of so many practices, but after we saw other teams perform show cheer at a competition at Sonoma State, we decided to compete,” Middleton said.

At a competition in San Jose the team competed and qualified for performance and show cheer.

“You qualify for JAMZ by competing in a division regional anywhere in California. There’s a certain score the team has to get to qualify for a bid,” Middleton said.

The over 250 teams at JAMZ are sorted by ability and compete against teams with similar skills. Redwood competed in the novice varsity division.

One setback left the team disappointed when they performed an illegal stunt, resulting in a deduction.

“We woke up at 4:45 a.m. and didn’t finish cheering until 7:30 p.m. It’s a lot of work but I’m going to miss it,” Middleton said.