Kellen Smith and Lucas TemperoApril 21, 2024

Owen McDanielsApril 21, 2024

Club creates homemade cards for special fundraiser

Over the past couple of months, the Friendship Club has made homemade cards every Tuesday at lunch in order to fundraise for the special education activities held during lunch and after school.

The club, which provides fun activities for Redwood special education students, will sell their cards in packets of five for $20, and put the funds towards providing the members more enjoyable meetings.

JUNIOR SIERRA KELLY DECORATES homemade cards for the Friendship Club’s fundraiser.

Club president senior Casey Poore said that the money the club raises will go to buying new materials and funding the biannual district-wide dances that have been taking place for years.

The cards are homemade with various messages on them, such as “get better soon”  and simply saying “hello.”  Poore said that each card serves as a friendly message to send to friends or family, and supports the special education students.

After spending two months preparing the cards, the club plans to sell them the week after Spring Break, according to Poore.

Poore also said that these fundraisers are necessary in order to allow the special education students to have a better experience at Redwood.

If the members raise enough money, it will potentially allow volunteers to hire a DJ for the special education dances, which Poore said makes them a lot more fun.

Poore said that most of the fundraising the club does goes towards their dances and activities outside of school.

In order to raise awareness about the fundraiser, Poore said they plan to make posters and try to sell their cards to faculty members, as well as family and friends.

The Friendship Club also occasionally receives grants from the School Board in order to maintain certain school grounds, such as the garden in the quad, and help with the activities.

“I got a grant from the RHS school board for $800 to maintain the school garden that is between the English hallways, outside of room 302,” Poore said.  “We’re making it a butterfly garden, so we also benefit the school in that way.”