Gatorade names Liam Anderson National Cross Country Athlete of the Year

Neva Legallet

On Feb. 27, senior Liam Anderson was announced as Gatorade’s National Cross Country Athlete of the Year. That morning, Anderson was met by his teammates, friends and family in the CEA, where he was surprised with the honor by a representative from Gatorade.

Charlie Werner
Anderson, the Gatorade National Cross Country Runner of the year, with his trophy. The award is referred to as the highest honor in high school athletics.

His cross country season culminated with a record-breaking win at Nike Cross Nationals in November, where he made history as the first sub-15 minute finisher with a time of 14:57.60. Leading up to that, Anderson took first place at the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship, the North Coast Section (NCS) Championship and the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) State Championship.

Gatorade’s award, however, honors him for more than his stellar athletic performances; it is also based on other qualities, namely academics and character.

“It represents a lot more than just running: it’s a testament to a lot of stuff I do outside of running, and I appreciate the recognition,” Anderson said.

Charlie Werner
Anderson’s coaches, Laura Schmitt and Jake Schmitt, have worked with him for all eight seasons of his high school career.

Anderson has volunteered with the Marin County Search and Rescue program for four years and is a certified Wilderness First Responder. He also participates in peer tutoring, where he works with freshmen as part of the Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) program. With a weighted GPA of 4.26, Anderson’s academic achievements also factored into this recognition.

A film crew followed Anderson for several days in preparation, and a video showcasing his training and extracurricular activities was released the afternoon of Feb. 27, which can be found here. After receiving the award, major news networks aired the video as well as interviews with Anderson, which he said made for an exciting, but busy week.

“It’s been a hectic week,” Anderson said. “Definitely a new experience; I’ve been on running media plenty of times but not so much on general mainstream stuff.”

Charlie Werner
Surrounded by teammates and friends, Anderson was the recipient of a trophy and banner displaying his name and the title.

With a National Letter of Intent to compete in cross country and track and field at Stanford University in the fall, Anderson will continue to make his mark in the running world through his college years.

About the Contributors
Neva Legallet, Editor-in-Chief

Neva Legallet is a senior at Redwood and one of the Editors-in-Chief. She runs track & field and cross country, loves to travel and is a passionate...

Charlie Werner, Author

Charlie Werner is a Senior and a reporter and photographer for the Redwood Bark. He is an avid traveller, outdoorsman, and climber.

• Gatorade names Liam Anderson National Cross Country Athlete of the Year

News

Redwood class of ’66 dedicates plaque in remembrance of Reunion Leader

News

Work begins on Richmond-San Rafael Bridge after chunks of concrete fall

News

Sexual harassment workshop’s second year conducted by English department

News

Rising Stars Exhibition shines on Redwood students

News

District requests funding for athletics, Foundation agrees to support athletic trainers for interim period

News

Redwood takes part in international climate change strike with 12-minute walkout

News

Board passes budget reductions after much anticipation and a prudent process

News

Photo Gallery: Night of Blues

News

National parks and forests affected by government shutdown

News

2019 Academy Awards recap: awards, performances and more