Car driving through massive flooding in Downtown Tiburon, Marin County (Photo courtesy of Sydney Johnson).
Coastal concerns: Marin county braces for impact of rising sea levels
Scarlett MusgroveApril 25, 2024

The average sea levels have increased by more than 8 inches since 1880, with roughly three of those inches being added in the past 25 years,...

High school to collegiate athletics: Understanding the transition

Finding a balance between academics and athletics is hard enough already in high school. However, in college, the task becomes even more difficult.

Despite the enormous amounts of time spent on athletics, several former Redwood athletes said that the benefits of playing a college sport far outweigh the drawbacks.

Zander Bonorris, class of 2011, currently rows at Harvard. He said that the most difficult part about rowing in college as opposed to high school is that in college, every moment of practice has to be at full intensity.

“Practices need to be more efficient and shorter, because all of us have really demanding academic schedules,” Bonorris said. “Time is really valuable, and you need to be even better with your time management.”

Madison Livingston graduated in 2011 and now swims at Division I Rice University. She stressed the importance of time management in college, and how balancing academics and athletics can be difficult. She said she often has to wake up at 5:30 to swim, and she stated that in order to succeed, organization is key.

“Scheduling is everything. It takes a lot of organization, and it is not something that you can be relaxed about.” Livingston said.

Livingston said despite her demanding athletic participation, her professors are not easier on her.

“Teachers don’t necessarily care or want to know what athletic team you’re on, and they see you as any other student,” she said.

Another difference between collegiate and high school sports is the higher level of competition.

Sam Perrella, class of 2011, plays football and participates in track and field at Division III Claremont McKenna College. Perrella said that a major difference he finds between high school and collegiate sports is the higher level of competition he finds in college.

Redwood graduate Sam Perrella practicing discus during his senior year of high school.
Redwood graduate Sam Perrella practices discus during his senior year of high school.

“Every single player on my team was the best player at their respective high school,” Perrella said.

Perrella said that it is precisely this which allows him to develop his own skills even further, rather than having devote his energy toward helping his teammates, as he did in high school.

“It’s kind of nice in that there is less pressure for me to focus on my teammates,” Perrella said. “In high school, there was a lot more expected of me since I was a captain all four years. The expectations for captains such as pointing your team in the right direction takes a lot of energy.”

Perrella said he believes that another benefit of participating in a college sport is that it has provided him with an opportunity to make friends. Instead of showing up on campus as a lone freshmen who did not know anyone, Perrella already knew some of his teammates.

Bonorris also said that rowing allowed him to adapt to Harvard and make friends.

“Coming to Harvard, for me as a freshman, would have been way too overwhelming, and I definitely would have struggled if I didn’t have a core group of individuals that I already knew before I even got onto campus,” Bonorris said.

Livingston said that she had a similar experience.

“Because I’m on an all girls’ swim team and we were immediately thrown onto this big campus our freshman year together, we’ve formed close bonds with each other. I’d say that five of my closest friends here are swimmers,” Livingston said.