Richard ByrneApril 18, 2024

Senior recognized for dedication, achievements

“I definitely gained a sense of dedication from the Marine Mammal Center. I mean, when you’re covered in animal vomit at 8 o’clock in the morning, you’re just kind of like, ‘Okay. I can do this. I can do anything,’” senior Zoe Poynor said.

Poynor’s dedication to her volunteer work is just one of the reasons that she was chosen by Principal David Sondheim for recognition at the Dec. 6 school board meeting.

zoe poynor web

Sondheim first became acquainted with Poynor when she asked him to write her a letter of recommendation for a scholarship application. Sondheim was so impressed with her resume that he wanted to share her story.

Poynor was adopted from a Chinese orphanage when she was five months old, and she strives to help children in situations similar to her own.

Poynor has been an avid volunteer at numerous organizations since she was 14, and she currently dedicates her time to two organizations.

One of the organizations that Poynor volunteers at is the Marine Mammal Center, a nonprofit veterinary research hospital that dedicates itself to the rehabilitation of injured marine mammals.

“I’ve gone to the Marine Mammal Center since I was a little girl,” Poynor said. “So when I turned 14, I signed up to be a volunteer because I’ve always liked the center and I got community service.”

Poynor spends eight hours each Saturday volunteering at the center. Poynor said the work she does at the Marine Mammal Center is very hands-on and often requires she get her hands dirty.

“I feed the animals, and I clean their pens, which is not very fun,” Poynor said. “We also sometimes administer medicine to them. We definitely do hard work.”

Poynor said that although she does not plan on pursuing a career in veterinary work, volunteering at the Marine Mammal Center has provided her with an experience that she will always remember.

“I really love volunteering at the Marine Mammal Center because I’ve always loved animals,” Poynor said. “It’s really interesting to be able to have a volunteer opportunity where you can work so closely with the animals. And also it’s very different because nowhere else in the country do you have a leading research institute like that.”

In addition to her work at the Marine Mammal Center, Poynor also spends her time volunteering for the Canal Alliance, a nonprofit organization that helps low-income, Spanish-speaking immigrants all over Marin County.

Poynor said that she initially got involved with the Alliance because of her involvement in the Spanish club. Poynor is the vice president of the Spanish club, which works closely with the Canal Alliance.

Poynor is an academic tutor for sixth and seventh graders at the Canal Alliance.

“I really like working with the kids,” Poynor said. “It’s really great when you’re studying with them really hard and they’re just not getting it, and then the next week they come back, and they’ve improved. It’s nice to see them really happy.”

Poynor also said that her work with the Canal Alliance aligns with what she hopes to do in her future.

“I plan on majoring in international relations or service,” Poynor said. “I also hope to specialize in humanitarian work and so I can work with organizations like Unicef, because I love helping children, which is why I really like going to the Canal Alliance.”

According to Poynor, volunteering has taught her immense responsibility.

“In both of my volunteer opportunities, other people and other living organisms are relying on me,” Poynor said. “It just teaches me more responsibility because I have to look after these people and these things, these animals, because without my help they won’t have as much success in life short-term or long-term.”