Riley Peterson and Caitlin Shaver eat together as they discuss what they will be doing at the graduation practice.
Redwood seniors celebrate their last day of school
Lauren PoulinJune 12, 2024

On Wednesday, June 12th, Redwood seniors joined together in the Covered Eating Area (CEA) to celebrate the end of their senior year before...

Varsity football fights hard, loses against first seed Campolindo

Cutting across the field toward the sideline, senior running back Nick Calzaretta outruns several Campolindo defenders. Seconds later, as a defensive back dives at his knees, Calzaretta quickly hurdles the defender and proceeds to gain another few yards before being pushed out of bounds, an impressive highlight in Redwood’s playoff battle against Campolindo on Friday.

Though the play was flagged and called back, the hurdle exemplified the Giants first-half effort, full of resilience and tenacity.

Unfortunately, though, the varsity football team ended its historically successful season with a tough 59-28 loss against the top-seeded Cougars in the second round of NCS playoffs.
The game was much closer than the score portrays. In the first half, the Giants countered every Campolindo score with one grinding drive after another.

The game began with a series of handoffs to Calzaretta, the leading touchdown scorer in California.

Charging up the field, senior Nick Calzaretta in his final game as a Redwood Giant.

After a promising start for the Giants, however, the temporarily momentum shifted just minutes into the game, as a pass attempt to receiver Declan Hardiman initially looked successful, but was intercepted by a defending Cougar.

The turnover ended up costing Redwood six points, as the Campolindo offense quickly capitalized on the mistake and took the lead.

Turnovers proved to be the difference, as the Giants gave the potent Campolindo offense too many opportunities.

C0006.MP4.14_44_59_13.Still002

But the Giants, especially in the first half, kept it close  with two touchdown passes by quarterback Trevor Foehr to seniors Alex Wilson and Hayden Blum. Additionally, in the first half, Calzaretta added a rushing touchdown of his own.

“Even with the early interception, we were hanging in there, neck in neck in the first half,” Foehr said. “This game really was a boost of confidence of what the team could do.”

The game was tight at halftime, with Campolindo leading 35-21. However, in the second half, Redwood continued to turn the ball over and the Cougars again took advantage of the opportunities, blowing the game open with two unanswered touchdowns.

“This would have been a four-quarter game if we hadn’t made those mistakes.” Foehr said.

Spectating senior Drew Dawson, who made the 34-mile drive across the bridge to support the Giants, said the game was exciting, despite the loss.

“The atmosphere was really great, and to see how their football community really showed up is something Redwood can learn from.” Dawson said. “Even though it was cold, the fact that it was a Friday night game really made it fun to be a part of.”

Both those who attended the game and those who participated in it agreed that it was memorable to be a part of something never before seen in the school’s 58-year existence.

“It was the biggest game we’ve had, and the biggest game Redwood football has had, so it was really fun to be out there.” Foehr said.

C0087.MP4.16_08_13_07.Still001