Varsity field hockey team defeats Marin Catholic for second win of season

The girls’ varsity field hockey team defeated Marin Catholic (MC) 1-0 on Tuesday, as a goal scored by sophomore Caroline Soja propelled them to a victory.

Despite a persistent defense by MC, Redwood managed to score once, which was all the Giants needed to prevail. Soja scored the only goal of the game within the first fifteen minutes during a ‘short corner’, caused by a previous foul by MC in the shooting circle. After the goal was scored, Redwood’s offense kept the ball away from its defensive zone and made additional shot attempts on the MC goal.  

However, MC’s defense didn’t allow a second goal, which was an improvement from its

Senior Layla Dunne races to catch up with Caroline Plocki of Marin Catholic

previous game. The last time Redwood played MC, Redwood came away with a 8-1 win.

“The difference today was that we really wanted the ball and had the perseverance to stick

with it, which improved how we played this game compared to the last game,” Caroline Plocki, a MC varsity player, said.

Although only one goal was scored, Redwood made good offensive moves, according to assistant coach Sandy Pfaff.

“We did a really good job of looking up, seeing where the other players were, and just keeping [the ball] moving down the field,” Pfaff said.

Sophomore Mathilde Caindec agreed, stating that in the team’s past two games it had improved its offense from the beginning of the season.

Although several of Redwood’s players graduated last year, many freshmen have joined the team and helped fill the void. Freshmen Camille Goodhart and Eva Oppenheim were both key contributors for the Giants, each taking several shots on goal and assisting a strong offensive effort by Redwood.

Redwood’s final game of the season is on Wednesday, September 28th against Berkeley.