Girls’ varsity volleyball beats San Marin in a clean sweep

The Redwood girls’ volleyball team escaped a late scare but left no questions in the minds of fans that they were the superior team on Friday night after winning in a three-set sweep over San Marin.

San Marin had two possible set winning points but couldn’t convert. Redwood served for match point (28-27), and San Marin hit the ball long. The Mustangs appealed for a touch but it was not granted, giving the Giants a 25-18, 25-12, 29-27 victory.

Senior Claire Jackson swings for another kill

While the team didn’t play as well as it wanted to, the Giants ultimately emerged victorious.

“We had a little bit of a weak link in our serve receive so that led to our ultimate demise in the end of the third game,” senior captain McKenzie Cooke said.

The Giants seemed like they were in cruise control after winning the first two sets against a shorthanded San Marin team playing without its starting setter. Senior captain Claire Jackson and Cooke led the team with 29 combined kills.

“We’re still a new team,” Jackson said. “It’s our second game of the year so when it was close I think we did a really good job of working together and being aggressive.”

The team will hope to improve before it faces the tougher part of its schedule.

“You can have a hot hand but [Redwood’s] experience playing at the highest level usually will pull them through when things are tight,” said San Marin head coach Jesse Denham.

Junior libero Nique D’Ancona had a game high 16 digs to help sophomore starting setter Britney Klein.

Redwood is 2-0 in league play and will look to continue their undefeated start in a much-anticipated battle with perennial rival Branson on Tuesday at 6 p.m. at home.