The Impact of the potential ‘NO’ on Measure A
Emily Hitchcock, Web Designer • March 27, 2024

‘War Dogs’ strikes right balance between comedy and drama

“This isn’t about being pro-war. This is about being pro-money.”

This quote summarizes the attitude of the two main characters of the film “War Dogs,” who find themselves caught in the middle of many ethical issues in the business of arms dealing. “War Dogs” is a comedic drama that weaves the  right amount of humor into a serious  plot, making it both thrilling and engaging.

Based on the Rolling Stone article “Arms and the Dudes” by Guy Lawson, “War Dogs” follows the story of David Packouz (Miles Teller) as he is recruited by an old friend, Efraim Diveroli (Jonah Hill), to become an arms dealer for the U.S. government during the Iraq war.

wardogs1
FINDING OUT THEY missed out on making fifty million dollars, Efraim and Diveroli express their disappointment.

In the early 2000s, President Bush allowed practically anyone to bid on arms contracts, which is exactly what Packouz and Diveroli set out to do. They are only aiming for the small deals, but when it comes to the U.S. military, those small deals mean millions of dollars in profit.  Diveroli shows Packouz the life of bidding on these Pentagon contracts, and they soon become the middlemen between weapons suppliers and the military, a dangerous business. Both characters are drawn into the lure of easy money and breaking the law to maximize profit, no matter the repercussions.

Packouz is at first reluctant to join the business of arms dealing because of its morality and risk, a stark contrast to Diveroli’s fearless pursuit of money.  Packouz starts out as an anti-war protestor, but agrees to put his beliefs aside and join Diveroli to escape his unfulfilling job as a massage therapist. Diveroli has no qualms about being in this business. But it’s not just about the money for him—he loves the power and aggression.

Amidst this crazy plot, Packouz provides the audience with the sense of someone they can relate to— a steady, normal guy who is in way over his head. That being said, Diveroli, as reckless and sociopathic as he may be, is still able to exude a charisma that makes the audience root for him as well until the very end.

The story is told from Packouz’s perspective, with voice overlays and chapter headings taken from the dialogue in the script, which was effective at breaking the movie up into parts, as well as helping the viewer understand what the character is thinking.

However, Hill’s character is clearly running the show, taking the lead and providing most of the entertainment as a crazy risk taker. He is controlled by his desire for everything this business offers him, too focused on making money and having power to care about the consequences.

Director Todd Phillips, known for his previous film, “The Hangover,” succeeds in adding moments of humor in what would generally be a strictly serious movie. “War Dogs” offers comedic relief in moments where the audience is not expecting to laugh, but the laughs don’t offer too much comfort. Viewers are still surrounded by fear and anxiety, as is only appropriate considering the topic.

Although the film doesn’t focus on the human impact of Packouz and Diveroli’s actions and the lives lost at the expense of their business, a pretty substantial flaw in the plot, it offers an interesting and lighter look into arms dealing while still maintaining a serious tone.  

“War Dogs” shows the lure of power and easy money, but makes sure to also show the repercussions of greed and selfishness. This, merged with jokes and humor throughout to lighten the seriousness of this real life story, masterfully portrays the experiences of two guys in their twenties who got in way over their heads in one of the most serious businesses around.