Site Council’s ‘Giant Stories’ program aims to redefine the definition of success

Redwood’s Site Council is finalizing its recognition program called “Giant Stories”  that they plan to implement by the end of this school year.

“Giant Stories” will acknowledge students’ diverse triumphs by publishing the names and stories of students who have completed outstanding feats.

The stories will likely be published on a bulletin board and in short films, according to sophomore Elizabeth Ratcliffe, student Site Council representative.

Site Council, a committee of staff, parents and student representatives, has been developing this program throughout the past year. The idea began with the goal to “debunk the myth that there is only one path to success,” according to Site Council member Jon Kimball.

Infographic by Annie Fogarty

Ratcliffe said that she hopes “Giant Stories” will create a more welcoming, empathetic community at Redwood.

“Redwood is a very high pressure school. Getting a 4.0 and going to a good college is often people’s vision of success. Site Council wanted to redefine that definition and celebrate people who are really trying their best,” Ratcliffe said.

Site Council wants to redirect students’ attention from strictly grades and celebrate other types of success, according to math teacher Julie Norwood, a Site Council member.

For example, students who do community service, participate in other outside activities or have improved in a subject that they were struggling in may be recognized.

“It is more than getting the A or going to the best college; it is kindness and hard work and generosity that are just as important,” Norwood said.

The program will highlight the diverse activities that Redwood students do, according to Kimball.

“I’m hoping it brings the human side of being a teenager. Noticing people’s differences and applauding them instead of trying to have everyone have the same goal. I hope that it makes people feel more comfortable about their achievements,” Norwood said.

The program was also inspired by Challenge Success, an initiative of Stanford School of Education. Challenge Success is a resource for schools that want to create a more balanced learning environment by turning attention away from stress and academic achievement to other areas of success that are also important to growth.

Site Council will potentially open the program up to administration and student nominations.  They have designed a website that will be a forum for students, teachers and parents to nominate individuals, according to Ratcliffe.

“We are thinking that each department will get to pick one or two students per month. It would be probably about 30 students per month,” Norwood said.