Alicia Garzas advice for Redwoods upcoming voters
Alicia Garza's advice for Redwood's upcoming voters
Anya Ghazi and Annie BurlingameMarch 18, 2024

Alicia Garza is an activist, author and a co-founder of the Black Lives Matter movement, as well as currently the principal of Black Futures...

Illustration by Adela Tabak
Importance of Sleep Deprivation for Athletes
Adela TabakMarch 18, 2024

As teen athletes get older and their responsibilities increase, staying up late becomes a common occurrence. It can be difficult for athletes...

After their 10th and final goal of the game, seniors Nolan Ewing and Will Parsons celebrate.
Game of the Month: Parsons, Vasquez and Werner lead boys’ varsity lacrosse to 10-3 victory over De La Salle
Jordan Kimball and Sean CunneenMarch 16, 2024

On March 3 and May 11 of 2023, boys’ varsity lacrosse had two highly anticipated matchups against De La Salle High School. The first...

Giants advanced in NCS after overtime win

Junior+Brendan+Shepard+extends+for+the+layup.+
Junior Brendan Shepard extends for the layup.

Three words stuck in junior Jordan Jackson’s mind as the timer buzzed for overtime: “Win, just win.”

The score was 49-49 in the boys’ varsity basketball game against Petaluma High School with 30 seconds to go.

The fans were silent as dry basketball shoes screeched and the ball’s hollow booms filled the gym, like the rhythmic sounds of a metronome, every bounce a second gone by.

Jackson went up for the layup. The shot fell short, and junior Alex Wilson’s put back attempt was blocked by a defender. The two teams walked off the court and prepared for overtime.

With only four minutes on the clock in the extra period, the Giants started to pull ahead basket by basket, until the buzzer sounded and Redwood won 55-49, advancing to the second round of NCS.

Despite the win, senior Michael Sullivan was nervous as the teams went into overtime, because it could have been his last time playing basketball for the team.

“I was especially proud of us in the overtime game,” he said. “They didn’t score a single point and that was pretty awesome.”

Although the Giants had a slow start, Redwood stayed ahead of Petaluma during the first half, leading 29-23 at halftime.

By the end of the third quarter, Redwood’s lead had dropped to 34-31.

Despite the win, the team felt it had various areas that needed to be improved before its next NCS game.

“We need to work more as a team, work more on our passing, slowing down the ball, and making smarter shots,” Wilson said.

Tears were shed as varsity basketball players from Petaluma High School trickled out of the visitor’s locker room.

“It’s been hard because our team has been pretty bad these past couple of years. I’ve been on this team for three years, and this is the first time we’ve actually been good,” said senior Kelly Garber from Petaluma High School. “I’m really proud of these guys, and hopefully they can carry it up next year.”