Gift Guide: How to win over your Secret Santa

The holiday season is upon us, which is made apparent by the obnoxious oversaturation of Christmas music in department stores and the annual appearance of Mr. Sondheim’s sleighbell-themed ties. Soon, teachers in community-oriented classes will assign Secret Santa gifts. Or Spirit Sally. Or Hanukkah Harry. The random quality of the name pulling, along with the price limit, can lead to some awkward matchups. How do you know what to get that junior boy in your physiology class who refuses to wear gloves during dissections? Here at the Bark, we decided to give our peers a guide to navigate the tricky maze of buying someone you barely know a gift, for under $20.

For the girl who always comes back from lunch late with a coffee in hand:

Starbucks Gift Cards
Starbucks Gift Cards

A Starbucks gift card inside a holiday mug will both satiate her craving for a frappuccino in the dead-of-winter, as well as fulfill the missing decorative snowflakes and reindeer in her mornings left by #CupGate2015.

For the girl who constantly raises her hand in class:

Asos RIngs
Asos RIngs

A pack of rings from the mall will give the class know-it-all some bling when she blocks your view, and after getting your thoughtful present, she might just share her 10-page finals study guide with you.

For the girl who shows up to school in her pajamas:

Urban Outfitters Circle Scarf
Urban Outfitters Circle Scarf

A fluffy circle scarf would be the perfect gift for the girl who obviously prioritizes comfort over everything. Go for a neutral or jewel-toned wool scarf for easy style points.

For the kid who won’t stop talking over the teacher:

Whoopee Cushion
Whoopee Cushion

Give the class clown a whoopee cushion, and everyone in class will appreciate your gift. Until, of course, the person you gifted it to uses it on you. Then it might not be be so funny.

For the kid who won’t stop talking about their “top” colleges:

Notebook
Notebook

A notebook, so they can write down how their Common App is going and have a place to discuss the 14 essays on losing the important sports game whenever they feel the need to bring it up, which is always.

For the boy who’s always playing “Madden” on his phone:

Nike Elite Socks
Nike Elite Socks

A pair of Nike Elite socks is a staple that every Vans-wearing guy will appreciate. Though it might seem overdone to give socks as a holiday present, this sporty teen will get the full use out of the athletic socks while he plans his fantasy football team during the lecture.

Looking to splurge?

For the boy who always has headphones snaking through his sweater:

Hotline Bling Sweater
Hotline Bling Sweater

Get the music lover a Hotline Bling Christmas sweater. For the low, low price of $25, you can pre-order this festive sweater now for your giftee, and whip out some ridiculous dance moves when you present it.  In case you haven’t noticed, listening to music in class is going to make him the next Drake.