Indah Herzenberg April 24, 2024

Elle Wilson April 24, 2024

Student volunteer pushes a cart full of recovered food at the San Rafael Farmers Market to contribute to ExtraFood’s goal to end food waste (Photo courtesy of ExtraFood).
ExtraFood tackles the job to end food waste and hunger since 2013
Scarlett Musgrove April 24, 2024

Marin is the fourth wealthiest county in the Bay Area and yet a significant portion of its population is struggling with hunger, according...

Friendship club hosts annual Halloween Dance

The Friendship Club hosted its annual Halloween Dance on Friday, Oct. 30 in the CEA.  Students from four other special education programs in Marin attended the dance.  

The Friendship Club is a group that gives other students the opportunity to interact with special ed students by creating art projects and choreographing dances. In a typical club meeting, the students are paired up to create relationships with each other by participating in activities.

The students from Terra Linda, Tam, Drake, and College of Marin all gathered together to dress up for the occasion.

IMG_2127 (3)
Special ed student Shannon Higgins dances with a volunteer.

“The kids from every program get dressed up and dance all night. There’s a costume contest with different categories of funniest, best couple and scariest, which all the kids really enjoy,” junior vice president Chloe Mowbray said.

In addition to dancing, there are several activities set up for the students to enjoy, including face painting and coloring, according to Mowbray.

Recently the club decorated pumpkins and trick-or-treat bags in preparation for the Halloween dance.  Months of preparation went into planning the dance, and the club communicated with several other school programs, as well as vice principals and teachers, to help coordinate the event, according to Mowbray.

Mowbray has been a part of the Friendship Club since her freshman year, when a friend introduced it to her. She worked with special ed students previously in middle school and is currently a teacher’s assistant for room 116, a special ed day class primarily for autistic students, which provided her with some experience for the club, according to Mowbray.

“I’ve known a few of the special ed student from the start. We help all the mainstream kids and special ed kids get to know each other in the beginning,” Mowbray said.