A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Illustration by Lauren Olsen
Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

JV girls’ volleyball team keeps their winning streak alive

The JV girls’ volleyball team defeated Terra Linda in a landslide victory on Wednesday, sweeping their opponent two sets to zero.

Redwood beat Terra Linda 25-7 in the first set and 25-9 in the second set. The  momentum stayed on Redwood’s side throughout the entire game, keeping Terra Linda out of striking distance for a comeback.

Sophomores Raya Corren and Alex Lefebure prepare to set the ball to a teammate.

“It was an overall easy game for us,” said sophomore Amelia Shunk, the team’s starting setter.  “We are a physically strong team that works well together, so the team didn’t come as much of a competition for us.”

Redwood’s energy on and off the court kept the team going, improving their play as the match went on. The constant buzz of the crowd kept the team pumped-up, and constant communication between players ensured smooth passes.

Each individual player for Redwood had the opportunity to play, giving every player the chance to improve.

Raya Corren, sophomore defensive specialist, believed that communication and the team’s competitive edge on the court has improved throughout the entire year, keeping their loss category empty and their win total climbing.  

Despite the fact that their second-to-last game is against Marin Catholic, Redwood’s toughest opponent, the team appears calm and confident, according to sophomore Marielle McMullen, the team’s middle.

“Our JV team has been undefeated for eight years. We’re not planning on losing anytime soon,” McMullen said.

Next week’s match against Marin Catholic will take place at home on Oct. 21.