Richard ByrneApril 18, 2024

Friday Night Live raises awareness about binge drinking

When social studies teacher Jon Hirsch found out that 37% of 11th graders in Marin have reported binge drinking in the past 30 days according to the County of Marin, he was shocked. When he discovered that that was 14% higher than the statewide average, he realized it was time for a change.

So when Hirsch was introduced to the California Friday Night Live Partnership, a statewide program focused on positive and healthy youth development as well as engaging youth in their communities, he said the decision to bring the program to Redwood was not hard to make.

Friday Night Live student members listen as Hirsch gives a weekly update.

“Marin has one of the highest binge drinking rates in the country, and we really want to let people know about that,” Hirsch said.

To bring his vision to life, Hirsch gathered a group of upperclassmen to take the reins. According to Hirsch, the chapter’s goal is to raise awareness about the problem of binge drinking in Marin.

Club member Chelsea Rose, senior, said that contrary to popular belief, the organization is not going to be a sobriety club.

“The point is not to say, ‘Drinking is terrible. You don’t belong in this club if you drink,’” Rose said. “The point is to show that there are other things to do in Marin besides party. The common phrase is, ‘There’s nothing to do in Marin.’ And so what we’re trying to do is make there be something to do that’s not partying.”

Hirsch said he also hopes the club will provide a model for students to follow for the rest of their lives.

“Hopefully, in the long run, what we can do is show people how they can have fun without it, on their own,” Hirsch said. “Especially when they go off to college. That’s a big thing that I want to arm people with. Skills and knowledge and ideas of things they can do that don’t involve getting hammered.”

According to Hirsch, the club plans on raising awareness about the issue of binge drinking among parents and adults as well.

“The students here notice a clear double standard between what some adults do and what they say,” Hirsch said. “What I hope happens is some sort of adult/youth conversation.”

To achieve these goals, the club intends on hosting fun Friday night alternatives to partying and as well as educational events.

According to Rose, some ideas for events include Redwood nights at the bowling alley. The club also plans to work with local businesses such as Mag’s Frozen Yogurt to stay open longer on Friday nights.

“We might do things like sober dance parties, things to introduce social drinking by doing non-alcoholic bars,” Rose said.

According to Rose, there will be a county-wide scavenger hunt likely at the beginning of November to serve as an inaugural event for Friday Night Live chapters all over Marin. Rose said they are also planning on hosting a Redwood kick-off event that is still to be determined.

Hirsch said he came across the California Friday Night Live Partnership through his work with the Twin Cities Coalition for Healthy Youth, an organization that works with the Twin Cities Police, the towns of Larkspur and Corte Madera, and the Tamalpais School District to change community norms regarding underage drug and alcohol usage.

Hirsch said that above all he hopes to see students making a change in their community. “This is the kind of thing where it can’t come from me. As soon as it comes from me it’s no longer authentic. It’s youth driving change.”

Meetings are on Tuesdays at lunch in Rm. 282.