Dual sport athletes use track to sprint ahead
Lucy Miller, Cub Reporter • April 26, 2024

For kids who hope to play sports at the highest level possible, sports specialization seems like the only option, even when professionals...

In my raised backyard garden, kale flourishes in bright light and will grow back from its stump every season.
Spring gardening guide: Crops for your backyard
Taylor AllanApril 25, 2024

Spring is finally upon us, and with that comes the joys of gardening and preparing fresh food from your backyard. Maintaining your own garden...

Abortion pill now available at CVS and Walgreens
Gabrielle FranklinApril 25, 2024

In March, Walgreens and CVS Pharmacy, two of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the United States, began selling abortion pills. The sale...

Honorable Mention Prep of the Year: Bailey Osborn

Even if you haven’t personally met Bailey Osborn, you might know her because of her famous love for burritos, her role as a co-host of Redwood TV, and, of course, her contributions to the varsity volleyball team.

Senior Bailey  Osborn helps her varsity volleyball team advance to the second round of the North Coast Section Division II playoffs after a victory over Alameda.
Senior Bailey Osborn helps her varsity volleyball team advance to the second round of the North Coast Section Division II playoffs after a victory over Alameda.

Osborn has played varsity volleyball since her freshman year, won MCAL Player of the Year this past season, and is arguably one of the top volleyball players to travel through Redwood. In her four years on the varsity team, she has won three NCS championships. Sophomore year, Osborn won Second Team All League and was Marin IJ Prep of the Week, and junior year Osborn was named to the First Team All League.

“By my senior year it was just all about being a dominant force,” Osborn said. “Since my freshman year, I made a call to myself to be Player of the Year my senior year.”

Senior Annie Williams, Osborn’s three-year varsity teammate, said that Osborn was the girl that the team would look to in high-pressure situations.

“In big points, we would always go to [Osborn] no matter what because we knew she would always finish it and we knew she would be the one to get the big kill in the end to win the match or set,” Williams said.

Osborn’s next chapter in her volleyball career starts soon. In the fall, Osborn will be attending San Diego State University to play Division I volleyball, and she will travel to SDSU to train two times a day for three weeks starting on July 5. However, Osborn says she is looking forward to the challenge.

“I want to be challenged to where I have no idea what I’m going to do with myself,” Osborn said.

Osborn holds high expectations for herself, even as she prepares to play against girls who are aiming to play professionally. Osborn’s goal for the upcoming season is to improve her vertical by four inches in order to make the traveling team of 14 players.

To prepare, Osborn has been playing a lot of beach volleyball and has continued to play on her club team, Redrock 18-1. Redrock 18-1 has won two national tournaments this season, becoming one of six teams to qualify twice for the Junior Olympics in New Orleans this summer.

Osborn’s competitive nature will doubtlessly lead her to success in the future.

“It’s always good to keep your head up when you fail, and keep your head down when you succeed. That’s how I feel about the whole thing,” Osborn said.