Kellen Smith and Lucas TemperoApril 21, 2024

Owen McDanielsApril 21, 2024

Varsity baseball wins MCAL championship nailbiter on walk-off

Two walk-offs in the past two games could be considered luck or a result of incredible skill, something the varsity baseball team is stocked with.

After winning the league pennant and beating Marin Catholic in two matchups during the regular season, the Giants were the favorite to win the MCAL championship.

On Saturday night under the lights at Albert Park, the stands were packed with fans wearing both navy and red.  As starting junior pitcher Zach Cohen threw the first pitch, tension could be felt through the air.

The first two innings of the game were neck and neck as a few runners from each team got on base, but were not able to make it all the way home.

Marin Catholic put two runs on the scoreboard in the third inning and held the Giants scoreless until the sixth inning, when  the Giants scored one run. However, in the top of the seventh inning, the Wildcats scored two more runs, bringing the score to 3-1.

With one last attempt left and the top of their lineup up to bat, the Giants  huddled to talk about what was left to do in order to finish off the game with a win. The crowd’s energy was lagging from a slow moving, unusual few innings.

Senior Aaron Dorfler was up first and took a hit by a pitch, which landed him on first. Then, seniors Devon Pence and Riley Overend both bunted,  landing themselves on first and second base, respectively.

With the bases loaded and the crowd fired up, junior  Parker Laret then hit a single and Dorfler scored another run. Pence ran home, too, but was thrown out.

The score was 3-2 when cleanup sophomore Aubrey Sine was intentionally walked, bringing up senior Adam Hussain.

Hussain then hit a line drive to score  the winning two runs. The Redwood crowd went wild as the team ran out of the dugout and swarmed Hussain.

Even though the MCAL season is over, the Giants are looking to win the triple crown in NCS as they are seeded first. The Giants’ first game is on Tuesday, May 26 versus Northgate High School at home.