A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

New law targets teenage drinking on party buses

Students may have to rethink their plans for Prom this year as party bus companies crack down on underage drinking in order to comply with a new California law.
The law, which was signed on Sept. 23 by Gov. Jerry Brown, goes into effect on Jan. 1 and will include the requirement of a chaperone for groups with passengers under the age of 21. The law was written in response to the death of Burlingame teen Brett Studebaker, who died in an alcohol-related car accident after drinking on a party bus.
According to senior Gretchen Aubel, party buses are essentially booze cruises equipped with neon lights and stripper poles. Aubel said that the buses are a popular mode of transportation for teenagers, especially for Prom.
“Kids use them as an excuse not to drive so that they’re able to drink, but at the same time, it’s also just a fun way to get around because you’re with all of your friends,” she said.
But the days of the fun and freedom that come with drinking on a party bus may be numbered. Beginning next year, bus companies will require groups with passengers under the age of 21 to designate a chaperone who is at least 25 years old to ride along in the bus. The chaperone will be responsible for checking the IDs of all passengers to determine which passengers are minors, and will also have to read and sign a statement that says that underage drinking is illegal and if alcohol is consumed by minors on the bus, the party is over—the trip will end and the customer will not receive a refund.
A chaperone who breaks the rules can face misdemeanor penalties.
Bus drivers have new responsibilities as well. Drivers will be required to search for alcohol if it is suspected, and must immediately terminate the trip if unlocked alcohol is found.
The bus company can be fined $2000 and face a license revocation if they break the rules, and the bus driver can face misdemeanor charges.
Aubel said the driver of the party bus that she took to Prom last year was fully aware that kids on the bus were drinking.
“Our party bus driver kind of let it go, like most party bus drivers do, just because he was getting paid to drive us,” Aubel said. “I remember all our bus driver said was, ‘If you throw up, you’re paying for it.’”
Aubel said that for the most part the passengers were happy that their bus driver wasn’t enforcing the law.
“I knew that it probably wasn’t a good thing because we’re not supposed to be doing that, but as a teenager, it’s what we hope for,” Aubel said.
Senior Joe Balmain said that the driver of the party bus that he took to Prom was also aware that kids on the bus were drinking, but didn’t take any steps to enforce the law.
“I thought it was pretty cool that he was going to let us drink,” Balmain said.
Balmain said that he thinks the new law will steer kids away from the idea of renting a party bus.
“Most kids who go on party buses are going to drink,” Balmain said. “If they’re really not allowed to do that, and they get caught drinking and the whole thing is cancelled, they’re going to stop going on party buses.”
Balmain said that he doesn’t think the requirement of a chaperone is necessary.
“From a teenager’s point of view, it sucks,” Aubel said. “But parents will probably feel more safe letting their kids go on party buses.”
Ironically, a law that aims to keep kids safe may actually put them in greater danger, according to Aubel.
“The thing is, nobody’s going to want their parent on the party bus,” Aubel said, “so kids are going to try to either drive in, which is even more dangerous, or find other ways to get to Prom.”