The case for no PE requirement for student athletes
Jake PostApril 28, 2024

Three days a week, students in their freshman and sophomore years at Redwood spend a period in Physical Education (PE) class for a combined 144...

Illustration by Nina Baker
The AI takeover: A less capable generation
Nina BakerApril 28, 2024

“The pace of progress in artificial intelligence is incredibly fast…The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five-year...

Doctors, nurses and technicians of the Marin Health Hospital laugh and entertain one another with silly faces (Photo courtesy of Dr. Grom).
Behind the scrubs: Doctor Eddie Grom’s journey to becoming an accomplished ER doctor
Kate BarkerApril 28, 2024

Chest pains, headaches, sprains and burns are common ailments warranting a trip to the local emergency room. There, doctors rush tirelessly to...

Water polo team reaches goals by preventing them

A stellar defense and an increase in the number of year-round players has significantly improved the boys’ water polo team from last year.

A majority of the players competed during the off-season on club teams. That, combined with the team’s new goalie coach, has translated to a record of 6-2 and the team ranking third in MCAL of press time.

Junior, Cayman Bearly-Malinowski, a starter for the team, said the atmosphere for the varsity team has become more competitive.

“In years past, water polo hasn’t been the biggest sport at Redwood, so players just played during the school season and did other sports throughout the year,” Malinowski said. “Now there’s a ton of players who are playing year round and are very dedicated, and because of that our team has gotten a lot better.”

Malinowski said he believes about 75% of the team played on a club team before the season.

Junior Adam Loo said the team no longer relies on only a few players.

“In the past there have been a couple star players who play year-round and really dedicate themselves to the sport,” Loo said. “As time goes on and our team gets better, there has been more interest in the sport.”

Another key to this season’s success has been the improved defense.

“As a team we’re best together when we’re on defense,” Loo said.

Ali Namakian, starting goalie, has been a cornerstone of the defense.

“Our assistant coach who played goalie has been working with Namakian, and through his efforts he has improved a lot and has been performing great in games,” Malinowski said.

Payton Marshall, new goalie coach and Redwood graduate, played goalie on the Redwood team as well as on a UC Berkley club team. According to both Malinowski and Loo, Marshall has coached their goalies exceptionally well.

“The leadership we get from our goalie is a great asset to us on defense,” Loo said.

The two games Redwood lost this season were against Drake and Marin Catholic, who are both currently in front of Redwood in MCAL standings.

They played Tam on Thursday for third place in MCAL but results were not available as of press time.

Their first MCAL playoff game is Monday Oct. 23.

The boys’ water polo team isn’t afraid to have a little fun. After a canceled game against San Marin on Sept. 28, sophomore Giorgio Cico jumps off of the pool’s bottom and fires a leaping shot on goal.