Girls’ softball poses threat with strong league record

With an undefeated season so far and last year’s MCAL title in their back pockets, the varsity girls’ softball team has returned to the playing field with power this spring.

As of press time, the team holds a league record of 12-0 and an overall record of 19-0. The team is ranked 60th in the state of California and 147th in the nation.

The team is comprised of 19 girls, with only one senior and a total of seven freshmen. While they lost only one graduated senior, Sophia Sapuppo, the team resembles the one that won the pennant last year. Head coach Gary Casassa said the variety of ages on the team is actually a benefit.

Junior and first baseman Kayla Rose has held a batting average of .618 so far this season. Rose began playing on the varsity team as a freshman and has played softball for more than ten years.

Junior Kayla Rose practices batting during the game.

“It’s been a team effort, and that is what has made us so successful this season,” Rose said. “Our entire batting lineup is hitting, one through nine. Everybody is hitting the ball.”

Rose said that the freshmen on the team have integrated well into the group, allowing the team to hold goal-oriented and skill-focused practices.

“We don’t have to work on learning how to throw a ball or how to field a grounder. We can take it to the higher level and not focus so much on the basics in practice,” Rose said.

Senior pitcher Lani Kaleikini holds a season ERA of 0.53 and has led the team with many strikeouts. She has also contributed as a strong hitter.

“This year everything has just come together a lot better. We are a lot more confident in each other,” Kaleikini said.

Kaleikini, who earned the Pitcher of the Year recognition last season, was also awarded the Player of the Game award after the team’s win against Terra Linda on Thursday, April 23.

Kaleikini also had a complete game against Terra Linda where she struck out ten batters, went two for three at the plate, and scored two runs.

Casassa said he doesn’t know where the team would be without Kaleikini.

“It’s been great. Lani is a coach’s dream because she just does everything that we ask of her; as a captain she’s a team leader, and she’s always encouraging the rest of the girls,” Casassa said.

Kaleikini is the only senior on the team. Starting in the fall of 2015, she will be playing softball at the University of New Mexico.

“[Kaleikini] is obviously a good player and a good pitcher, but she’s a great person, and that’s the most important thing,” Casassa said.

Casassa also said that sophomore Sabrina Nunez shines as a starter on the team. She will be attending and playing softball at University of California, Berkeley in the fall of 2017. As of press time, Nunez has .662 batting average and 19 RBIs.

Weitenhagen also said that the diversity of advanced players on the team has helped them to remain undefeated.

Junior Kayla Rose works on fielding during practice.

“Everybody on the team is just so individually great, and we are so lucky that everyone can work together so well,” Weitenhagen said. “We have each other’s backs.”

When former catcher Shawn McCullough injured her knee and was required to step off the field for a rehab period, Weitenhagen eagerly took her place as starting catcher. McCullough is now playing at third base, while Weitenhagen is the starting catcher.

Weitenhagen said that as she stepped up to play as a starter, she realized the significance of the pitcher-catcher relationship.

“At first it wasn’t intimidating, but then as the season went on I had to really build a new persona for catcher,” Weitenhagen said.

Weitenhagen was awarded Player of the Game after a 22-0 win against Drake on April 30. Weitenhagen went two for two with a 3-run home run and five RBIs total.

“This year is just focusing on me and how to become comfortable in my skin playing softball, and then I want to get serious,” Weitenhagen said.

MCAL playoffs will start on May 18.

“I’m excited to be playing and having everything be more intense. I’m excited for it be a little bit more hardcore,” Weitenhagen said.