A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Illustration by Lauren Olsen
Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

Board meets to discuss superintendent search

On Tuesday, March 3, the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) Board of Trustees held a special meeting to discuss the superintendent search and selection process with search firm representative Dr. Steve Goldstone of The Cosca Group (TCG).

Goldstone listed his agenda for the night, saying he wanted to establish the calendar of events for the search process, brainstorm the greatest strengths and biggest critical concerns and issues of the district, and identify the groups of people who will meet with the search firm.

Some of the strengths of the district listed by Board members included a stable student body with extraordinary students, a dedicated staff, financially stable community, triple A ratings, and high-quality facilities.

Many of the critical issues and needs listed by Board members included communication issues, the achievement gap, and high rates in binge drinking and drug use among students.

“There seems to be a lack of trust amongst some of the staff, some of the parents, mainly adults, towards the same people —administrators, some of the staff, the Board,” President McCauley said.

The desired characteristics for the new superintendent, as listed by the Board, included the ability to promote a culture in which all staff members feel valued, strong communication skills, and  strong fiscal management and success.

More than 10 community members spoke at the opportunity to address the board on items on the agenda, many voicing their personal opinions about what they would like to see in the new superintendent, as well as expressing some concerns that they held about the search process.

At the final part of the brainstorm, Goldstone asked the Board who they would like to receive input from throughout the search process.

After listing six ideas regarding the feeder school district superintendents, staff, and parent organizations, Michael Futterman, District Board clerk, said he would like to hear student input from ASB or Leadership.

“Students have great insight,” Futterman said. “The tricky part is it’s not just Leadership kids.”

McCauley suggested meeting with student advisory councils at the high schools within the district, as well as programs such as “Bridge the Gap” and “The Hannah Project”.

At the end of the brainstorming process, Goldstone asked the Board not to attend the meetings with other community groups.

Board member Bob Walter was unable to attend the meeting.

The next TUHSD Board of Trustees meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 10 at 7 p.m.