In my raised backyard garden, kale flourishes in bright light and will grow back from its stump every season.
Spring gardening guide: Crops for your backyard
Taylor AllanApril 25, 2024

Spring is finally upon us, and with that comes the joys of gardening and preparing fresh food from your backyard. Maintaining your own garden...

Abortion pill now available at CVS and Walgreens
Gabrielle FranklinApril 25, 2024

In March, Walgreens and CVS Pharmacy, two of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the United States, began selling abortion pills. The sale...

Car driving through massive flooding in Downtown Tiburon, Marin County (Photo courtesy of Sydney Johnson).
Coastal concerns: Marin county braces for impact of rising sea levels
Scarlett MusgroveApril 25, 2024

The average sea levels have increased by more than 8 inches since 1880, with roughly three of those inches being added in the past 25 years,...

University of California system receives record number of applications

The University of California (UC) Office of the President recently released statistics regarding applications received for the 2015-2016 admissions cycle.

The UC system received 193,873 individual applications this year, 10,601 more applications than last year.

This number is comprised of both freshman applications, defined as students applying to college as seniors in high school with no further education, and transfer applications from students already enrolled in college. Freshman applicants accounted for 90 percent of the submitted applications while transfer applicants made up the other 10 percent.

Fifty-nine percent of this year’s freshman applications were from California residents. Freshman applicants from other states made up 17 percent of the applications received, and 14 percent of freshman applications were from other countries.

Of the freshmen who applied from within state, 24 percent of applications came from the San Francisco Bay Area. This is the third largest in state region freshman applications came from—the first and second largest being Los Angeles (30 percent of applications) and the rest of Southern California (28 percent of applications), respectively.

The campus that received the most applications was UC Los Angeles. UCLA was followed by UC Berkeley, then UC San Diego. All UC campuses received an increase in applications.

The 112,744 applications UCLA received has made it the most applied-to college in America for this year’s application cycle.

More detailed statistics for the individual campuses are on the map below.