Meet the Captains: Spring sports
Meet the Captains: Spring sports
Julia Delsol, Emily Block, and Mason GarboMarch 26, 2024

Dear [Name of Customer], by Julia Delsol

Superintendent Kimbrel announces plans to resign

Superintendent Laurie Kimbrel announced her plans on Monday to resign from the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) in June after seven years in the position.

Kimbrel has accepted a job at Township High School District 113, located outside of Chicago. Before moving to California, Kimbrel worked at two other school districts in the Chicago area.

In an email sent to the district, Kimbrel announced her departure and praised the Tamalpais Union Board of Trustees for their work.

“I have enjoyed working with the administrative team, staff, parents and community over the past seven years,” Kimbrel wrote. “I firmly believe that there is a great deal of positive momentum in our schools and that our talented staff will continue to move forward on behalf of our students.”

Kimbrel’s tenure as superintendent was marred by tension. The recently implemented New Tech Network, which emphasized project-based learning, faced backlash from some parents and teachers. Last fall, a vote on salary increases for district employees became controversial after public comment was not allowed before voting.

At the Board of Trustees meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 13, Board President Cindy McCauley congratulated Kimbrel on her new position and announced plans to create a committee to search for a new superintendent over the next six months.

The committee will conduct an extensive search process during which they look at the hiring process of other school districts, according to McCauley.

During the Public Comment period of the meeting, several community members suggested that the Board find an interim superintendent until a newly-elected Board of Trustees convenes in November.