Dual sport athletes use track to sprint ahead
Lucy Miller, Cub Reporter • April 26, 2024

For kids who hope to play sports at the highest level possible, sports specialization seems like the only option, even when professionals...

In my raised backyard garden, kale flourishes in bright light and will grow back from its stump every season.
Spring gardening guide: Crops for your backyard
Taylor AllanApril 25, 2024

Spring is finally upon us, and with that comes the joys of gardening and preparing fresh food from your backyard. Maintaining your own garden...

Abortion pill now available at CVS and Walgreens
Gabrielle FranklinApril 25, 2024

In March, Walgreens and CVS Pharmacy, two of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the United States, began selling abortion pills. The sale...

Boys’ varsity soccer beats Branson despite the absence of two starters

The boys’ varsity soccer team defeated Branson 2-1 in a close game on Wednesday, Oct. 15.

Sophomore Jack Elders approaches the Branson player, ready to steal the ball.

Redwood broke a 1-1 tie 15 minutes into the second half after junior captain Isaac Perper collected a ball that had been deflected by the goalie and blasted it into the upper left corner of the net.

After a slow start for both teams, Redwood initially took the lead when senior Miguel Rodriguez broke away and slipped the ball past the keeper with just five minutes left in the first half.

Branson started off the second half aggressively, scoring on a long shot from the right wing after three minutes of play.

A strong defensive performance allowed the Giants to hold onto the lead despite intense pressure from the Branson offense, including a Branson free kick from inside Redwood’s goal box.

Redwood’s win came without starting junior goalie Brennan Dwyer and senior defender Jaime Planes. Both were red-carded during last week’s match against Novato, resulting in an automatic one-game suspension.

Senior Miguel Rodriguez rolls the ball past the goalie within the first five minutes of the game.

The Giants have three regular season games left before MCAL playoffs begin on Oct. 27. As of press time, they are in third place, one point behind San Rafael and three points behind undefeated Terra Linda.

The team’s next game is Friday, Oct. 17 against San Marin.