Car driving through massive flooding in Downtown Tiburon, Marin County (Photo courtesy of Sydney Johnson).
Coastal concerns: Marin county braces for impact of rising sea levels
Scarlett MusgroveApril 25, 2024

The average sea levels have increased by more than 8 inches since 1880, with roughly three of those inches being added in the past 25 years,...

Volleyball hosts first scrimmage of the season

The Redwood girls’ varsity volleyball team held a friendly round-robin scrimmage on Friday, Aug. 29 against Marin Catholic and Saint Ignatius, in the team’s first game heading into the new season.

According to junior Marguerite Spaethling, each 40-minute unscored game is a valuable asset in evaluating the team’s strengths and weaknesses before the season begins.

Senior Bailey Osborn passes the ball to her teammates.

“These games were helpful because it showed us what we need to work on,” Spaethling said. “We had a lot of good high moments and a few low moments, but it’s the low moments we need to focus on to make us a better team.”

Throughout the first week of the girls’ season, coach Katie Pease was content with the way they played, and hopes for her team to improve from what she saw in the girls’ performance at the scrimmage.

“It was a great start of what’s going to be a long, competitive season and we only get to build on it from here and continue to get better,” Pease said. “We have been working a lot on our passing and serve-receiving, and it looked pretty good in these games. It will be our main focus during this season.”

The girls will host their first league game of the season on Wednesday, Sept. 19 against Novato High School.

“I’m so excited. The first week of practice has been really fun, the energy is great, and the chemistry is fantastic with this young group of girls,” Pease said.