The Impact of the potential ‘NO’ on Measure A
Emily Hitchcock, Web Designer • March 28, 2024

Girls’ varsity tennis loses preseason scrimmage

After finishing MCALs in second place in the 2014 season and making it to the quarter finals of NCS, the girls’ varsity tennis team has endured tough training in the hopes of taking home a pennant this year.

This past Wednesday, the team competed in a scrimmage against Monte Vista that ended in a 8-1 loss.

“[Monte Vista] is definitely a strong team, but it was our first match together as a team. We are still getting in the mode of things,” said junior Lauren Wolfe.

Wolfe has had a huge impact on the team’s success since freshman year.

First ranked on the team and junior Lauren Wolfe takes a backhanded swing to the ball.
Junior Lauren Wolfe takes a backhanded swing to the ball.

According to freshman Devon Cusack and junior Nina Becam, Wolfe is a role model and key player for the team. Wolfe has ranked number one on the team for the second year in a row, a rare feat for a sophomore or junior.

Last year, Tamalpais High placed first in MCALs, while Branson finished second.

“We are always a strong contender. It’s us, Branson, and Tam every year,” Wolfe said.

This year, the team lost five seniors, but gained multiple talented freshmen.

“It has been hard to fill the spots of the graduated seniors, but with strong under and upperclassmen, we have the talent to redeem ourselves in MCALs,” Wolfe said.

The competition is strong between the top three teams, but according to Becam, the coaches have been putting the team through agility work and circuit training, which is a type of resistance training using high-intensity aerobics, to improve their play.

While the team’s MCAL season doesn’t start until Sept. 9 when they will play against Marin Catholic, they will be competing in a home game scrimmage against San Francisco University High School on Sept. 3.