Boys’ volleyball team advances to finals

The boys’ varsity volleyball team served up a win on their home court last night, sending them to the MCAL finals after dominating El Molino.

The team controlled the match in all three games, winning 25-12, 25-18, and 25-15. This win gives Redwood the opportunity to win its first MCAL pennant since 1999.

Senior Matt Pelfini elevates for a spike in a win against El Molino.

Senior Matt Pelfini led the team with 25 kills and just one error.

“The way we played tonight was a testament to all the hard work we’ve done this season,” Pelfini said. “I think we’re in a solid spot right now going into the finals.”

Junior Geffen Hochschild came up big in the game with 33 assists.

“After how we played today, a win against Drake in the finals seems promising,” Hochschild said. “We are confident going into Friday’s game, but we have to remember to take one point and one step at a time.”

According to his teammates, Hochschild was a key factor in getting the win for his team.

“Matt could not have done anything without the setting by Geffen today. He was right on money with his sets and it made Matt look good,” said sophomore Nate Orwig, who had 5 kills on the night.

Other notable performances came by Junior Angel Alvarado-Dadin with 22 digs, and freshman Charlie Reis with 1.5 blocks.

The boys will play for the championship against Drake at 7 p.m. on Friday at College of Marin.