What it means to be a Giant
What it means to be a Giant
Gil LadetzkyJune 22, 2024

In fifth grade, I attended my first-ever Redwood basketball game. It was a rainy Thursday night in a gym packed with energetic students. As I...

Varsity water polo swims to big win over San Rafael

Senior Lorenzo Cico defends a San Rafael player in the Giants’ 16-6 win on Sept. 20.

The Redwood boys’ varsity water polo team was dripping with confidence as they annihilated San Rafael 16 – 6 in a home game on Sept. 20.

Redwood went up early and never looked back, going up 10-0 in the first quarter behind five goals from sophomore Giorgio Cico.

The Giants dominated throughout the match, as they defended smartly and quickly countered many of San Rafael’s attacks. This allowed them to make full squad substitutions, with some of the less experienced players getting a taste of the chlorine.

According to senior Schuyler Ruhland, however, the game did not exemplify their best show of skill as a team, as many of the goals scored were scored due to individual performance.

“We didn’t pull out any significant playing structure or anything,” said Ruhland “We weren’t always keeping our eyes open so we weren’t watching as their men fell back, but besides that I think we played solidly.”

Senior captain Zach Cohen believes that Redwood could be a major contender for the MCAL title this year, and in upcoming years as well.

Senior Schyler Ruhland attempts to get past a San Rafael defender.

“I think this is one of the best Redwood teams in recent years,” Cohen reflected. “We’re graduating a lot of seniors, but we have a strong core of (underclassmen) guys who will keep Redwood in the running for a while.”

Redwood is now 2-1 in MCAL league play.