Kellen Smith and Lucas TemperoApril 21, 2024

Owen McDanielsApril 21, 2024

Sports Spotlight: Freshman dominates on varsity softball team

Freshman Sabrina Nunez sprints to first base

Sabrina Nunez takes off the moment the ball is thrown and is at second base in the blink of an eye.

“She’s so fast,” a couple of voices in the crowd murmur as she slides to second base.

Nunez doesn’t slow as the game continues, sliding home in the nick of time and racing after balls before they leave the infield.

In the recent game on Thursday, Nunez scored two runs as the leadoff hitter. Redwood’s current freshman shortstop and center fielder has already verbally committed to UC Berkeley.

Nunez said it was relief to be accepted into UC Berkeley and to know that her hard work is paying off.

“I think I’m a good leadoff batter and a good infielder, but I’d be nothing without my team there, backing me up,” Nunez said.

According to Nunez’s coach Gary Casassa, he can put Nunez in any position and she will do well.

“She’s hardly ever played shortstop before, and she’s already one of the best shortstops because of her athletic ability,” Casassa said.

Nunez’s teammates expressed their admiration for her.

“She’s such an all around great player. She’s quick, she’s graceful, she’s a great hitter, she’s a great infielder and outfielder,” said Sophia Sapuppo, a captain on the softball team.

Casassa said Nunez is able to do whatever needs done on the team and her focus remains on the good of the team, not herself. He said that Nunez has a great work ethic.

“She loves being out there, so she’ll just keep working,” Casassa said.

Even before the game begins, the coaches congratulate Nunez on a well-caught ball during warm-up. Nunez’s hard-fought digs and speedy throws that prevent San Rafael from another run draw cheers from the crowd.

According to Nunez, being on the team took some adjustment.

“It was a little bit intimidating at first, but now I’m in the groove and I really like this team,” Nunez said.

Nunez has been able to adapt to the high school level of softball.

“She’s adapted so quickly. She knows how to hit off of all types of pitchers we face as a varsity team,” Sapuppo said.

Despite her talent, Nunez remains a positive force on the team.

“She’s got all this talent, but she’s not a prima donna. She will do anything for the team, whatever to help us win,” said Casassa.

As the team walks off the field, Nunez talks comfortably with every one of her teammates, smiling.

“She’s never been one of those people who gets in people’s faces when they make a mistake or correct people. It’s just constantly positive vibes,” Sapuppo said. “She’s the team favorite, she’s just a sweetheart.”

Nunez looks forward to a great season, whether Redwood wins or not.

Nunez plays for the Sorcerer 16U softball team. She hopes to go to the 2020 Olympics for Team USA softball.