Elle Wilson April 24, 2024

Student volunteer pushes a cart full of recovered food at the San Rafael Farmers Market to contribute to ExtraFood’s goal to end food waste (Photo courtesy of ExtraFood).
ExtraFood tackles the job to end food waste and hunger since 2013
Scarlett Musgrove April 24, 2024

Marin is the fourth wealthiest county in the Bay Area and yet a significant portion of its population is struggling with hunger, according...

Illustration by Mariel Goodhart
The importance of teaching students how to deal with sexual assault and harassment in schools
Gabrielle Franklin and Mariel Goodhart April 24, 2024

School is meant to be a safe place for students to gain an education. Despite this, some students have been violated in unforgivable ways, in...

New water fountain encourages sustainable water use

Upon returning to school Monday morning, students discovered two new drinking fountains in the Redwood hallways. The old porcelain shells and waterspouts were removed and replaced by two modern facilities.

The two new fountains feature not only the traditional water spigot but also Elkay EZH2O Rapid Bottle Filling Stations. Utilizing new motion sensors, students can now fill their bottles hands free.

“It’s just really convenient,” junior Spencer Key said, “Before I had to lean over and tilt the bottle but now I can fill it up all the way.

According to LaSandra White, Redwood plans to add more of these drinking fountains on campus.

The new fountains also display a number count of how many plastic bottle are saved cumulatively as a result of students filling their own bottles. Since the fountains implementation on Monday, 144 plastic bottles have been conserved.