Experience the charm of vintage items at Sugar Magnolias Powder Room
Marin’s hidden gems: The best local thrift stores
Evelyn HarperApril 26, 2024

In recent years, thrift shopping has surged in popularity as a sustainable way to find diverse clothing brands at discounted prices, often with...

Tiburon Candy Shop closes due to rising rent
Lucy JeffersApril 26, 2024

The Candy Store on Main Street in Tiburon has served the community since February 1997 as a local attraction, garnering visitors from all over...

Advocating for non-binary inclusion in high school restrooms
Brooklyn Saputo and Storey GerberApril 26, 2024

Non-binary students seek recognition every day, in every space they occupy. The “women” and "men” signs on public restrooms...

Fundraising turkey continues to collect food

The turkey stands outside one of the entrances to the Corte Madera Town Center for the second consecutive decade.

This winter season marks the 20th year that the giant turkey, dubbed the “World’s Largest Turkey,” made an appearance collecting canned food in Corte Madera’s Town Center.

During the two decades in which the bird has been gobbling goods, it has collected over 50 tons of canned food, non-perishable food, and toiletries, according to Blain Johnson, the Media Relations Manager for Marin and San Francisco local food bank.

The items donated are distributed throughout 240 food pantries in Marin as well as San Francisco.

“This is one of the most visible drives that exists for the food drive in Marin,” said Clara Franco, public relations representative. “It’s a great opportunity for kids and their families to learn about giving back and have fun while doing it.”

The bird on display is a reconstruction of the original turkey, which was retired two years ago due to wear and tear.  The location of the bird has also changed, though the new turkey still features the iconic bobbing head that has been greeting shoppers since the original was put on display in 1993.

Marin residents can donate their goods this year under the bird’s wing in the southern part of the shopping center near Crate and Barrel until Dec. 31.