The case for no PE requirement for student athletes
Jake PostApril 28, 2024

Three days a week, students in their freshman and sophomore years at Redwood spend a period in Physical Education (PE) class for a combined 144...

Illustration by Nina Baker
The AI takeover: A less capable generation
Nina BakerApril 28, 2024

“The pace of progress in artificial intelligence is incredibly fast…The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five-year...

Doctors, nurses and technicians of the Marin Health Hospital laugh and entertain one another with silly faces (Photo courtesy of Dr. Grom).
Behind the scrubs: Doctor Eddie Grom’s journey to becoming an accomplished ER doctor
Kate BarkerApril 28, 2024

Chest pains, headaches, sprains and burns are common ailments warranting a trip to the local emergency room. There, doctors rush tirelessly to...

Redwood scores with a new freshman team

For the first time in Redwood’s history, a freshman soccer team will take the field. Every year, soccer is one of the most competitive sports at Redwood, leading to many students getting cut. These cuts happen due to insufficient space on the junior varsity and varsity rosters as well as poor performance. However, adding the freshman team allows more students to play high school soccer and express their love for the game, also bringing the class of 2028 together on and off the field. 

Kelsey McNair, head coach of the team, is deeply committed to her role. McNair is currently teaching at two different elementary schools and previously attended the University of Mississippi, where she played club soccer. Coaching aligns perfectly with her passion for both soccer and teaching. Before her college years, McNair attended Redwood, where she had hopes of playing soccer. 

New freshman coach McNair strategizes with her team for their first game against Terra Linda.

“I never played at Redwood. It was not due to my skill but purely due to numbers. That’s why I was so excited about having a freshman team,” McNair said. 

Expressing her gratitude for the team, McNair emphasized how disappointing it would have been if her players hadn’t been given the opportunity to play high school soccer.

Like McNair, many athletes are thankful for the opportunity to continue playing the sport they love. Molly Pipitone, a player on the team, feels that the freshman team will further her skill set while leading to unforgettable memories.

Dribbling the ball with controlled possession, Sena Manchester makes a move to escape the defender.

Playing soccer every day helps me relax and have fun. It’s a great atmosphere with awesome people,” Pipitone said. 

McNair’s coaching partner, Caitlan Buono, talked about her goals for the team. Growing up in Marin and playing soccer at Marin Catholic, Buono feels comfortable and ready to run it back where she started her career. She knows what it takes to win and has a lot of goals set in stone for the girls this year.

“My goal is to be undefeated, but more importantly, to have a good team culture. As a coach, I want people to trust me and ask me questions. I am a coach, but I also want to be a mentor,” Buono said.

High school athletics teach valuable life lessons such as teamwork and resilience. Without a freshman team, many students would miss out on these important lessons and moments that will stick with them forever.

“I’m happy I can get better at soccer [while] making friends. I wouldn’t have had this [opportunity] without the freshman team,” Pipitone said.