Behind the curtains: Performing Arts Academy of Marin’s annual Holiday Spectacular

As the holiday season approaches, many dance studios find themselves increasingly busy rehearsing for their seasonal performances. Annually, the Performing Arts Academy of Marin (PAAM) puts on a show titled “The Holiday Spectacular” which follows the journey of Ella, a young girl in San Francisco, venturing to find her dream scarf which has been lost in the city on Christmas day. On the way, Ella encounters a series of dance numbers such as “Enchanted Window Display,” “The Rockettes,” “Angel Ballet,” “Hip-Hop Street Dancers,” “Nightmare Acrobatics” and numerous others. The Holiday Spectacular features many beloved holiday tunes and dancers ranging from age three-to-eighteen. The show is highly anticipated not only for audiences, but for the dancers as well.

For seniors Laine Seabern and Alexa Kofman, dancing in PAAM’s Holiday Spectacular is a tradition held close to their hearts for all of their dance careers, making the senior send-off bittersweet. 

“I’ve been [dancing at] PAAM for 15 years. [The Holiday Spectacular] is a really fun tradition…it’s not as much about the competition and the stress of it, but it’s just a more comfortable show that we all have fun with,” Seabern said.

“I love PAAM because I love the community and I love dancing with all of my best friends,” Kofman said. “I’m in about 7 numbers [in The Holiday Spectacular]. My favorite number is either the Rockettes dance, because I would love to be a Rockette if I was tall enough, or Nightmare because I’m the Nightmare Queen this year.”