Illustration by Zach Dinowitz
Endless screentime: The cost of social media platforms ignoring teenagers’ wellbeing

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a phone in my pocket with some type of social media platform downloaded, whether it was TikTok, Snapchat...

Former coach and mentor Al-Endriss looking off into the distance
Baseball Roots Reimagined: From Players to Coaches
Reece Mori-Prange and Jack BlockApril 17, 2024

Redwood baseball is a program built to win games, award hard work and develop skills that set players up for future success. Coaches Bill Benz,...

Illustration by Charlotte Fishburne
Easy remedies for Senioritis
Charlotte FishburneApril 16, 2024

About this time every year, the same epidemic infects the Redwood senior population: Senioritis. With only five unexcused absences allowed per...

Girls’ tennis nets victory with sweep over Mustangs in opening match

Walking into their first match, the girls’ varsity tennis team had no doubt they would come out on top. However, the win represented more than surpassing another team in the league; it proved that losing five seniors wouldn’t hinder their pursuit for the MCAL finals after losing last year to Tamalpais High School.

The team kicked off the new season with a 9-0 clean sweep over San Marin on Tuesday.

Freshman Lindsay Dubin aces a serve earning a point for her and her doubles partner, sophomore Lilly Blanadet.

Senior Lise Swain delivered a win for the Giants, defeating her opponent 6-1 both sets in number one singles.

Additionally, the number one doubles team, junior Molly Kehoe and freshman Zoe Babikian, worked together to top the Mustangs 6-1 and 6-1.

Kehoe and Babikian had a code to determine how they would play out each point. The match was more strategic, which made playing more fun, according to Kehoe.

“We are already friends, so we are really comfortable playing together. I think that is the reason why the match went as well as it did,” Kehoe said.

Senior captain Lindsay Thornton shakes her opponents hand prior to the match.

Senior captain Natalie Epstein, the number six singles player for the Giants, swept her opponent 6-0 in both of her sets, earning her team a win.

According to Epstein, the team’s dynamic is different this year due the young makeup of the team. The upperclassmen are trying to support and develop the freshmen who lack MCAL experience.

Going forward, Epstein wants the freshmen to keep things in perspective because the team will have harder matches against teams such as Branson and Tam.

Dubin and Blanadet converse with coach Marlies Zeisler in between matches.
Dubin and Blanadet converse with coach Marlies Zeisler in between sets.

The Giants play their next match on Thursday, Sep. 8 against Branson on their home court.

Sophomore Quinn Perozzi attempts a serve while leading her opponent in the second match 5-1.
Sophomore Quinn Perozzi attempts a serve while leading her opponent in the second set 5-1.

Match Results

Singles:

#1 – Lise Swain 6 – 1, 6 – 1 Win

#2 – Devon Cusack 6 – 1, 6 – 2 Win

#3 – Lindsay Thornton 6 – 1, 6 – 1 Win

#4 – Quinn Perozzi 6 – 3, 6 – 2 Win

#5 – Chloe Willson 6 – 0, 6 – 2 Win

#6 – Natalie Epstein 6 – 0, 6 – 0 Win

Doubles:

#1 – Molly Kehoe and Zoe Babikian 6 – 1, 6 – 1 Win

#2 – Christine Watridge and Ella Ong Bamola 6 – 3, 6 – 0 Win

#3 – Lilly Blanadet and Lindsay Dubin 6 – 0, 6 – 2 Win