Riley Peterson and Caitlin Shaver eat together as they discuss what they will be doing at the graduation practice.
Redwood seniors celebrate their last day of school
Lauren PoulinJune 12, 2024

On Wednesday, June 12th, Redwood seniors joined together in the Covered Eating Area (CEA) to celebrate the end of their senior year before...

Community input wanted for Piper Park renovation

After years of planning, the city of Larkspur is asking community members for their final input on two master designs for the renovation of Piper Park on Doherty Drive. A link to a SurveyMonkey survey, which allows participants to view and choose between the different designs, was sent out last month and will continue to run through May.

The redesign was originally envisioned in the 2012 Piper Park Master Plan with the intention of following ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) standards, along with providing a themed structure with “imaginative play opportunities,” according to the survey.

In order to comply to ADA standards, Playworld, the commercial playground equipment manufacturer, must include accessible routes, transfer systems, ground level equipment and  ramps to connect elevated play components.

Option A in the survey is referred to as “In The Woods,” meaning that it is themed and styled after a treehouse with more traditional twisty slides, crawl tunnels, climbing walls, monkey bars and rope bridges. The model reflects the aesthetics of a tree with green roofs and brown “roots” that serve as climbing areas.

Option A
Courtesy of the city of Larkspur

Option B, or the “Free Play/Modern” themed design, proposes more abstract equipment including a variety of climbing equipment, crawl spaces and flexible slides. Additionally, many of these features have inclusive entertainment such as tube net climbers and slings. Dual cozy cocoons would also be included in this design, which serve as a private place for kids to relax and can be positive for kids of all abilities, according to the survey.

OptionB
Courtesy of the city of Larkspur

Although the designs are very different, they both will keep the current swing set and include ADA transfer stations.

The project began in 2012 when the city of Larkspur first began taking input from the community on what they wanted to replace the outdated jungle gym at the park, according to Rita Schoch, city of Larkspur Public Works Department administrative analyst.

“From that master plan we developed some concepts for designs for remodeling and upgrading the playground,” Schoch said.

This past November, the city revealed four optional designs to the public and asked for opinions via SurveyMonkey. Out of the options in November, two stood out as obvious favorites, and those became the current designs being debated for the construction project that will begin over the summer.

The renovations are not in the city of Larkspur’s fiscal budget for this year, which runs through June 30, according to Schoch, which is why the project will be delayed until after this date.

Community members can vote for their favorite design at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/piperpark3.