Richard ByrneApril 18, 2024

Every little bit counts: Senior raises money for cystic fibrosis research

Senior Kayla Rose has been participating in walk-a-thons to raise money for cystic fibrosis research, since she was in diapers and began to make her own team when she was in seventh grade. Now, as she looks toward her future at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN, she hopes to continue to make a difference in the lives of everyone affected by the disease.

According to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, “Cystic fibrosis is a life-threatening, genetic disease that causes persistent lung infections and progressively limits the ability to breathe.” The disorder is considered rare, as it is only found in 30,000 people in the United States and 70,000 people worldwide, according to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. There is currently no cure for cystic fibrosis.

“[Cystic fibrosis] is kind of one of those more obscure diseases that not a lot of people know about but a lot of people have,” Rose said. “It doesn’t affect you unless it directly impacts your life with a family member or yourself.”

Rose has been involved in raising money for cystic fibrosis research for many years, as the disease affects one of her family members. She began participating in the Great Strides walk-a-thon in San Francisco put on by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation since she was just a toddler. Back then, she would complete the five mile walk on a scooter, then on rollerblades, and then on a bike. Now, she walks the event with her own team, which has been shortened to three miles.

Since seventh grade she has coordinated and gathered a walk team for these events, as well as reached out to friends, family, and businesses in order to raise money for the cause. Over the past four years, Rose and her team have raised $25,000 for research, increasing the amount earned each year.

cystic fibrosis infographic
Data courtesy of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

However, Rose is challenged in finding new ways to continue what she describes as a “positive trend” in raising money.

“We’ve kind of capped out where we are, fundraising by the methods were using,” Rose said. “So [we are] trying to find new ways to reach a big crowd.”

Although Rose is not quite sure how she plans to continue to garner even more support, she is considering planning something through Redwood or finding bigger companies to do matching programs with.

Rose cites the advancements in the medical field that have come as the result of fundraising efforts similar to hers as one of the most rewarding things about her work.

“The amazing thing that’s happened in the past few years is there have been huge advancement in finding a cure for cystic fibrosis,” Rose said. “Basically what we’re looking at though is a cure within our lifetime. By pushing fundraising and pushing research and pushing support for research for a cure. There’s a huge possibility that [my family member] could end her life free of cystic fibrosis.”

Rose said that the specific ways in which her efforts have affected cystic fibrosis patients around the nation have been the most rewarding part of her work.

“Seeing the change, changes that have happened in the cystic fibrosis community and what’s going on with research and knowing that that’s all been because of the work that people are doing across the nation,” Rose said. “That’s the best part, seeing the change in everyone’s lives.”

Seeing people’s willingness to contribute to the cause has been encouraging to her as well.

“…Having all of the support from family and friends [has been rewarding],” Rose said. “And seeing how readily people are willing to jump on board, whether it’s by walking or helping me out with printing out posters or talking with companies about doing matching programs. Everyone, even if it’s a third degree of separation, a friend of a friend, everyone is still really ready to jump on board, which is gratifying, and you know the more the merrier.”

Rose hopes to inspire others in college, by continuing to fundraise in Memphis by creating a club on campus, or working with a club that may already exist that does non-profit fundraising. She hopes hopes that her own motivation and enthusiasm to help the cause will inspire others to do the same.

“I’m really excited to fundraise, I really love doing that,” Rose said. “I love working with the cystic fibrosis foundation, and working with people who have cystic fibrosis. So I guess I’m hoping that my raw enthusiasm to make a change inspires others to do the same.”