Illustration by Elena Dillon
Child labor shapes the retail industry
Elena DillonApril 24, 2024

Teens worldwide are drawn to fashion as a way to express themselves, playing off their need to feel confident and boost their mood. These adolescents...

Illustrated by Storey Gerber
Stricter gun laws are the key to a safer future
Liam HealyApril 24, 2024

How many deaths does it take to spark a change? In today’s world, sadly it is commonplace to see school shootings, deaths by suicide and...

For the first time in over ten years, Redwood’s JV Lacrosse team beats St. Ignatius.
Evan WangApril 24, 2024

The Redwood junior varsity (JV) Lacrosse team has not beaten St. Ignatius College Preparatory High School (SI) in over ten years. On Friday,...

The Twin Factor: Making decisions for colleges easier

As college acceptance letters begin to come in this spring, students have many factors to consider when choosing a college that they believe is the correct fit for them. However, when twins make a decision about college this spring, they will have another element to consider: where their twin sibling will attend college.

When weighing the pros and cons, senior twins Molly and Fisher Moritzburke see the advantages of staying together in college, but they also believe a change of environment would be healthy.

Senior twins Fisher and Molly Moritzburke

“If it came down to two schools, and Molly was going to go to one of [the colleges], it would definitely be a factor [in my decision],” Fisher Moritzburke said.

The Moritzburkes are both interested in studying science in college, and said that they had applied to many of the same colleges for this reason. Both twins applied to five UCs, the University of Washington and Santa Clara University.

Molly explained the benefits of having similar academic interests to her twin.

“We take a lot of the same classes, so it is nice to be able to have your own study partner that’s always in the house with you,” Molly said.

While the Moritzburkes said they will not base their decision on where the other is going, they would enjoy attending the same school.

“I think it would be cool if we went to the same school. Especially in college, I am not expecting to go to a school where a lot of my classmates from Redwood are also going, so I think it would be fun to have someone that I already knew so well at school with me,” Molly said.

Molly added that going to a different college than Fisher would be a strange transition for her, given the amount of time she spends with him.

“We spend our whole day together,” Molly said. “We go to school together, come home at the same time, are on the same sports team, and [have the same friends].”

Juniors Sarah and Zack Herzer, on the other hand, currently attend different high schools. Sarah goes to Redwood, while Zack attends the Bay School in San Francisco. Sarah said she believes that this will make the separation easier when they leave for college.

“We have not been to the same school since middle school, so I don’t think [going to different colleges] will be that weird,” Sarah said.

While the Herzers have not applied to college yet, they have begun looking at schools.

“We are each going to apply to the colleges that we want to, and if it happens to be the same, then awesome,” Zack said.

The Herzers believe that attending separate schools has improved their relationship in some ways. While the Herzers had different social groups in middle school, Sarah said that Zack’s transfer to Bay has actually made them closer.

“In middle school we didn’t really have a lot of the same friends, but once we started going to different schools, it became more interesting to hear about each other’s social lives,” Sarah said.

Senior identical twins Roxanne and Racquel Rivette pose for a photo

The Moritzburkes and Herzers are fraternal twins, senior identical twins Racquel and Roxanne Rivette believe that they may have different opinions as they are identical twins.

“We are hoping to stay together. We aren’t quite sure about [going to] the same school, but hopefully they are close by,” Racquel said.

The Rivettes have both applied and are both interested in attending schools in southern California.

While the Rivettes hope to stay together, they also believe that they will not be in regular contact if they choose to go to a larger university.

“[Going to different colleges] would be good for new experiences and a new beginning on [our] own, but honestly, if it’s going to be a huge university, it isn’t going to be us together 24/7,” Roxanne said.

“We can’t even handle two weeks without each other, so we are definitely staying together,” Roxanne said.