Molly GallagherApril 18, 2024

Emma Rosenberg and Penelope TrottApril 18, 2024

Richard ByrneApril 18, 2024

Teacher instructs meditation for ELE Week

English teacher Alex Franklin instructed a meditation session at lunch on Wednesday, March 12 for students and faculty in the multi-purpose room during Everybody Loves Everybody (ELE) week.

The second annual Everybody Loves Everybody week was held from March 9 to 13 to promote loving attitudes in the Redwood community.

English teacher Alex Franklin leads a meditation session in the multi-purpose room for ELE week.

For Wednesday’s theme of “Loving Yourself,” Mr. Franklin, a former yoga and meditation instructor, was invited by ASB to instruct a meditation class open to students and faculty.

“Meditation is for you, not for other people to see what you’re doing,”  Franklin said to the 40 people who attended the session.

Franklin led a type of meditation called “metta,” which is sanskrit for love and kindness.  The 20-minute session included emphasis on posture, breathing techniques, and sounds.

Sophomore Francesca Padilla said, “It was nice and relaxing, I kind of wish more people went because it was a nice break in the day… it was cool to see Mr. Franklin [demonstrate meditation].”

Franklin also invited the participants to imagine the people in their lives to incorporate the theme of ELE week into the meditation.

In general, Franklin said he thought the class was a success.

“The fact that people showed up was positive… there are a lot of different responses to meditation,” Franklin said.