Car driving through massive flooding in Downtown Tiburon, Marin County (Photo courtesy of Sydney Johnson).
Coastal concerns: Marin county braces for impact of rising sea levels
Scarlett MusgroveApril 25, 2024

The average sea levels have increased by more than 8 inches since 1880, with roughly three of those inches being added in the past 25 years,...

America’s Cup sailing race comes to San Francisco

This year’s America’s Cup has attracted people from all over the globe—from Italy to New Zealand to Sweden—but it has also brought the sailing community here at Redwood out to the races.

This year was the first time in its 150-year existence that the America’s Cup has been held in San Francisco, and according to sophomore Harry Schmidt, having the race right here in the bay really excited members of the sailing community.

acupWEB

“When I heard the America’s Cup was going to be in San Francisco, I got really pumped about it because San Francisco is a great place to sail,” he said.

Schmidt has been a sailor for the past 9 years.

“It’s exciting to watch them sail where I also sail, to know they’re sailing in the same place I do,” Schmidt said.

According to sophomore Will Martens, understanding how the boats work helps keep the race interesting, but it is not necessary to enjoy the America’s Cup.

“I thought it was really cool when they came here to sail because I could actually understand what they were doing as they sailed,” Martens said. “But even if you have no idea what’s going on if you go to the America’s Cup Pavilion the announcers there will explain it to you.”

According to Martens, the pavilion has a lot to offer to both those who enjoy sailing and those who are new to it.

“I thought the pavilion was really cool, and having the screens with the commentators explaining it made it easy for people who didn’t know much about sailing to understand it,” Martens said. “And you can go with friends as a social event while learning a bit about sailing and watching the fastest sailboats on the planet.”

Both Martens and Schmidt have been watching the boats, from land at the pavilion and Marina Green and from the water.

“I’ve watched three of the races in person at Marina Green,” Schmidt said, “but I watch all of the rest on TV.”

Although the qualifying races, the Louis Vuitton Cup and the Challenger Series, have ended, there’s still more action going on, as the finals of the America’s Cup started on Saturday Sept. 7 between Oracle Team USA and Emirates Team New Zealand.

Martens said that the America’s Cup has inspired him so much that he may want to try to follow in the sailors footsteps.

“I think it would be awesome to be in the America’s Cup,” Martens said. “It’s something I want to try and strive for, to be one of the best sailors in the world.”

Emirates Team New Zealand currently leads the Cup 8-1 as of publishing time. The races air on NBC Sports Network.