Students pledge support to LGBT during Ally Week

The GTSA club manned a table at lunch everyday during Ally Week to receive pledges to the cause.

The Gay Trans Straight Alliance Club held its annual Ally Week from October 22-26th.

The national event is sponsored by the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Networks (GLSEN) to celebrate the LGBT community and educate people about anti-gay bullying.

“I felt like this was one of the Gay Trans Straight Alliance’s most successful events,” said Sasha Perigo, senior and co-club president of the GTSA Club. “Receiving over 300 pledges is a huge step in the right direction.”

To pledge, students must fill out a form and wear a rainbow ribbon around their wrist, indicating their support towards the LGBT community.

So far, GLSEN has created over 4,000 registered Gay Straight Alliances in schools, with thousands of students pledging their support to the cause.

Rainbow ribbons designated students as GTSA pledges.

GLSEN works every year to spread awareness and form alliances in its local school communities.  Its goal is to ensure that all members of society are ensured respect regardless of their sexual orientation, gender, identity, or expression.

Many who join the club do it to support family and friends.

“I joined GTSA with a friend sophomore year,” said Perigo.  “He was struggling with defining his sexuality and I felt that I couldn’t truly be there for him unless I made an effort to go to the club and understand the issues he was going through.”

For more information, visit allyweek.org