Car driving through massive flooding in Downtown Tiburon, Marin County (Photo courtesy of Sydney Johnson).
Coastal concerns: Marin county braces for impact of rising sea levels
Scarlett MusgroveApril 25, 2024

The average sea levels have increased by more than 8 inches since 1880, with roughly three of those inches being added in the past 25 years,...

Resurfaced Ghilotti Field to open in February

After 10 months of planning and construction, Ghilotti Field has been resurfaced into an all-season, all-weather turf field, in order to replace the grass’s holes and safety hazards.

Located in the southeast corner of the Redwood campus, Ghilotti Field previously suffered from its proximity to the marsh, making it difficult to maintain the quality of the grass needed for a usable athletic space, according to school officials.

Photo by Logan Peters
Photo by Logan Peters

“We now don’t have to worry about sprinkler heads or dead grass,” Athletic Director Jessica Peisch said . According to Peisch, this will help prevent potential injuries of athletes.

“The Redwood community has so many sports. There were always safety concerns when you had Girls’ or Boys’ Lacrosse practicing on the football field and then track kids going around,” Assistant Principal LaSandra White said.

The field is expected to open on Feb. 10.

The renovation was a joint project between the parent community and the district, with a total projected cost of one million dollars. Half of the funds came from bond money, and the rest was to be raised partially through Redwood community fundraising.

Currently the fundraising efforts have raised $312,792 with the help of an anonymous donation of $100,000.

Although the goal of $500,000 is yet to be achieved, Sondheim said the efforts are continuing.

The Redwood foundation has the next five years to pay the full $500,000.

According to White, there were many teams that didn’t want to practice on the field before its renovation because of its uneven surface. Due to the lack of usable field space there was competition for available practice time on the football field.

Ghilotti field now provides more space for sports like soccer and lacrosse practice, and less money and materials will be spent on upkeep.

“Having a turf field reduces our water use, our maintenance, and also increases safety. We don’t have things like holes that need to be maintained for safety purposes,” Principal David Sondheim said.

Lacrosse teams plan to have all of their games at the new field unless extenuating circumstances, like too many games in one night, call for the use of both Ghilotti and the football field.

“There is something to be said about consistency. The kids will know that they practice at the same space every day,” Peisch said.

The field was resurfaced to increase the year-round athletic space in Marin, so when Ghilotti Field is not in use by Redwood students and athletes, it will be rented out.

“The kids will see a difference in the quality of the practices and games,” Peisch said. “I’d be surprised if the field is not used everyday until it is dark.”

According to Peisch, additional plans for Ghilotti Field include the installation of scoreboard and bleachers.