Public protests and perspectives
Public protests and perspectives
Ava Stephens, Gabriella Rouas, Aanika Sawhney, Nadia Massoumi and Grace GehrmanJune 29, 2024

Reflejando otra vez con los ELD seniors
Reflejando otra vez con los ELD seniors
Ava CarlsonJune 27, 2024

El año pasado, tuve la oportunidad de hablar con estudiantes del grado 12 en la clase de English Language Development (ELD) sobre sus experiencias...

Illustration by Ava Stephens
A letter to sophomores: how to run next year’s marathon
Alana LeiferJune 27, 2024

Are you a sophomore excited for your junior year? Are you going to college? Have you taken the SAT? Where are you applying? What's your GPA?...

Prep of the Year honorable mention: Rex Solle

Senior Rex Solle cemented his legacy as a standout captain and athlete after leading the boys’ varsity baseball team to their first Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) championship since 2019. The four-year varsity starter and Division I University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) commit has made the MCAL first team as an infielder and pitcher for two years in a row, a historic feat that is almost unheard of. 

Solle pitches a fastball at Oracle Park in a game against Marin Catholic. (Photo by Aurora Sreba)

In his senior season, Solle held an earned run average (ERA) of 2.33 with 80 strikeouts in 48 innings pitched. These stats are largely thanks to his impressive fastball, which reaches up to 92 miles per hour. To put it into perspective, the average Major League fastball is 94 miles per hour. Solle was also a force in the batter’s box, hitting .386 with eight doubles this season, powering a strong Giants’ offense that averaged nearly seven runs per game. Regardless of sheer natural talent, none of this would be possible without a long history of hard work and dedication.

“Just putting in work before and after practice, that’s what sets me apart. It’s extra work and making sure I’m not prioritizing one thing over the other. [I want to] make sure I’m doing the best I can at both [positions],” Solle said.

Solle began playing baseball when he was only five years old. As he grew older, he played for a local travel team called the Bombers. Despite joining Marin Baseball and making occasional appearances for Lamorinda, his original Bombers team was where he became teammates and good friends with senior Gavin Soper. Soper and Solle have played together for nine years and now are co-captains for the varsity team. 

“[Solle’s] determination and his athletic ability [is what sets him apart]. He’s one of the most athletic kids I’ve probably ever met… When we were younger, it was very noticeable as well,” Soper said. 

Solle stands near third base in a March game against San Rafael High. (Photo by Ashlin Quach)

For Solle and Soper, winning their first MCAL title in May was each of their most meaningful accomplishments.

“Since my freshman year, the goal has been to win an MCAL championship. To finally do it in my senior year feels the most rewarding,” Solle said. 

After being an integral part of this victory, Solle rallied the team to continue their fight to the North Coast Section (NCS) playoffs. The Giants won their first three games but suffered a disappointing loss in the championship. Solle threw seven shutout innings against a dominant Cardinal Newman squad while also contributing a single as a hitter. However, the Giants ranked high enough to receive a bid into the Norcal State playoffs for the first time in Redwood history. 

Solle’s leadership, passion for the sport, diligent training and commitment to improvement naturally make him a role model for many younger players.

“I can tell when whenever he’s taking reps or just playing, practicing, doing anything, the younger guys are watching what he does. He has grown into the shoes of a leader,” Soper said. 

Closing out his high school baseball career, Rex Solle hopes to do great things in Los Angeles at UCLA. He is grateful for his time as a Giant and acknowledges the role it has played in his development as a person. 

“Playing baseball at Redwood has helped me develop in so many ways. I’ve learned how to lead, how to inspire others and just how to be a great teammate and person,” Solle said.