Public protests and perspectives
Public protests and perspectives
Ava Stephens, Gabriella Rouas, Aanika Sawhney, Nadia Massoumi and Grace GehrmanJune 29, 2024

Reflejando otra vez con los ELD seniors
Reflejando otra vez con los ELD seniors
Ava CarlsonJune 27, 2024

El año pasado, tuve la oportunidad de hablar con estudiantes del grado 12 en la clase de English Language Development (ELD) sobre sus experiencias...

Illustration by Ava Stephens
A letter to sophomores: how to run next year’s marathon
Alana LeiferJune 27, 2024

Are you a sophomore excited for your junior year? Are you going to college? Have you taken the SAT? Where are you applying? What's your GPA?...

Social media’s Marin Dad: Adam Cohen

In the age where social media shapes perceptions and bridges distances, Adam Cohen, or social media’s Marin Dad, uses his passion and authenticity to establish himself as a Marin County celebrity. Growing up in San Diego, Cohen never thought he could become a social media influencer. He attended the United States Naval Academy and joined the Navy as a surface warfare officer, serving for nine years before he settled down in Mill Valley. 

“After getting out of the Navy, I started working in tech companies and startups. A few years later, I started a blog called Tam Glad. I was writing stories about local businesses in Tam Junction. I slowly built a following and made content as a blogger. Then I ended up making a video one day about an observation I had about patch hats and how [Marin] dads were wearing the same hats,” Cohen said. 

Social media’s Marin Dad serves our community through supporting local businesses and bringing people together.

With over 12,000 followers, Cohen uses social media to share satirical videos concerning stereotypical “Marin Dads.” Not only does he use humor to connect with the community, but he also promotes local businesses and events throughout Marin. He hosts bike rides, family events and posts pictures magnifying local businesses and festivals. 

“When you move to Marin, you realize that there are a large number of people who are not from here, myself included. The way for me to integrate myself into the community was to build trust and learn about everyone by giving back with no expectation of getting anything in return. I was able to write stories, promote businesses and serve my community in a hyperlocal way. It’s a nice thing to do for others, and selfishly, it’s a great thing to help make relationships,” Cohen said. 

Freshman Jack Harrison enjoys Cohen’s videos and how he uses his platform to aid the community. 

“I love it when his videos show up on my feed on Instagram. He always knows what jokes to make and how to get people laughing. I like how he promotes interesting events throughout Marin,” Harrison said. 

Cohen gets his inspiration from various people, especially the Marin dads he sees during school drop off or at local shops. 

“I’m inspired by Marin dads that I know, personally, and I’m inspired by the Marin dads that I don’t know, who drive by me every day,” Cohen said. 

Cohen’s other creation, Marin Offsite, utilizes Marin’s natural beauty to create relationships in corporate

communities. Marin Offsite primarily guides local San Francisco businesses in experiencing nature and engaging in team-building activities.

“Marin Offsite was a brainchild of what I felt was an under-utilization of Marin, and of all the adventure and wellness locations and activities around the county. I also realized, as I met a lot of these businesses, [that] they served the tourist population, which is not that large. They also had infrequent business traffic during the week, so it was a win-win situation. I could support Marin Country businesses with these events,” Cohen said. 

Adam Cohen creates a variety of satirical videos to share with the community.

For the aspiring Marin Dads, Cohen has some meaningful advice.

“I would embrace the healthy lifestyle that we get to live here and be enormously grateful for what we have,” said Cohen. And lastly, I would say to do everything you can to help your community and your neighbors. The entire premise of Marin Dad was to focus on the hyperlocal [and] to be focused on what’s around us. Never take yourself too seriously. In the end, this is comedy.”