Setting Sail to Success: Inside the journey of the sailing team
Zoe Gister, Cub Reporter • April 27, 2024

In the serene breeze of a bright spring afternoon, the first rays of light start to dip behind Mt. Tamalpais as one group of young sailors...

Illustration by Natalie Vinogradsky
Governor signs new bill: A new period of Media Literacy begins.
Meg Stevenson and Natalie VinogradskyApril 27, 2024

At the beginning of 2024, a new media literacy bill went into effect that will impact every public school in California. It seeks to address...

Voices of Measure A
Voices of Measure A
Tessa TuatiniApril 26, 2024

Voices of measure A by Tessa Tuatini

ASB officers: The driving force behind Redwood

The clock strikes 7:15 a.m. on a Thursday morning. While most students are just waking up, the leadership and ASB (Associated Student Body) students gather in room 182, ready to guide another vital ASB meeting. The environment runs purposefully as these student leaders tackle the various aspects of school that affect the Redwood community.

The meeting kicks off with gratitude, a new, positive addition that this year’s officers start with. Next, the students move on to roll call, a practice that sets a structured tone for the meeting. The familiar faces of the elected student voices fill the room, each one carrying unique views and ideas. ASB is a group of students who act as a student government, managing and overseeing ASB funds and accounts, managing and promoting clubs, keeping communication between classes open and working to maintain a positive and inclusive school culture for all Giants.

In charge of it are the four ASB officers, Cameryn Smith (ASB president), Erica Block (ASB vice-president), Berit Pigott (ASB secretary), and Ella Kaminski (ASB treasurer).  These four students are the backbone of Redwood spirit and help oversee major events, working around the clock to ensure everything runs smoothly.

The ASB for the 2023-2024 school year have served in a class-officer position previously. (Photo courtesy of Cameryn Smith)

As ASB treasurer, Kaminski manages the funds both inside and outside of leadership, handling school finances whether it be a scholarship for a club or a fundraiser. Kaminski notes that being in such a position of power means listening and knowing when to give input and when to let others take the stage. 

“When you put so many leaders in one room, sometimes people butt heads or just don’t agree. Everyone wants to have the mic so I think learning to be someone who can give the mic away and encourage other people to share their opinions is really important. Creating a space where people want to talk is so much more important than making sure you’re always the one talking,” Kaminski said.

Kaminski also added that it can be challenging to balance different opinions, especially with so many different people in one room, but trying to consistently hear people out is one thing she applies consistently both in everyday life and in ASB. 

The officers meet on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in a zero period, where they work to foster a positive environment and where most of the ideas for school events form. From blood drives to homecoming, these students commit time both in and out of class to ensure success and prosperity. With such a heavy workload, managing time can be complicated. The ASB officers begin school early in the morning and frequently have to stay later to help plan or execute events. 

“I think [balancing the workload] is something you get used to. I talk to seniors who say, ‘I have a free sixth and a seventh [period],’ and on Wednesdays, I’m here from 7:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. because I have a zero period and my seventh ends at 3:30,” Kaminski said. I think that’s something that if I had not been used to, it would feel really difficult. I sacrifice sleep a lot of the time but I don’t think I would ever change it. I’m definitely at Redwood a lot longer than other people. David Plescia, the advisor for ASB and teacher for leadership remarked on this year’s ASB officers.

Leadership students walk into the leadership room at the start of a Thursday ASB meeting.

“The [ASB officers] this year have been especially awesome at running the meetings super efficiently and communicating with other students. They hold their own standards to a high level and they expect that from the students that are participating,” Plescia said. He added numerous qualities he looks for in a leader, saying he looks for, “Students that are committed, spirited [and] students that are not afraid to speak out. [I look for] students that want to improve their school, bringing new ideas and carrying old traditions.”

These students aren’t just working together; they’re fostering a community dedicated to improving the quality of Redwood for every student and staff member. These ASB meetings serve as a bridge between the student body and the officers, allowing a culture of genuine communication to flourish while encouraging a positive school wide environment. 

The ASB officers are guided by the ASB constitution. Read their framework here.

Read more about what ASB entails here.