Don’t kid about the lack of student independence

October 26, 2022

Looking back on my experience at Redwood thus far, where days have felt like weeks and weeks have felt like years, I hope to leave not as the impatient, unsure freshman but as the prepared, sure-of-herself senior. Yet, as I attempt to reflect on the positive memories — finding a familiar face in the mob of my first back-to-school dance, getting through fall semester finals and finally finishing the dreaded Physical Education (P.E.) swim unit — my brain is suddenly riddled with the fear and realization that in less than a year, I will be 18 and moving away from my family to live on my own for the first time. The source of my uncertainty is the fact that I am expected to act like an adult the moment that I am legally deemed as such; however, I have spent the past three-ish years of supposed preparation, raising my hand every time I have to go to the bathroom and putting my phone in the teacher-approved “phone jails.”

What I can’t seem to figure out is why teachers feel the need to hold our hands for all four years. Their grasp not only suffocates students but has gotten significantly tighter as we count down the days to graduation. Now, I recognize that teachers are legally responsible for their students and, therefore, have the right to impose measures that make their classrooms both safe and productive. However, it seems as though many teachers take this authority and adjust it to fit their interpretations, overlooking one of the fundamental goals of high school: developing independence. 

Teachers often stress the importance of thoughtful decision-making, time management and critical thinking, which are all vital skills that students should possess post-graduation. Partner and Chief of Clinical Services at The Dorm, Dr. Amanda Fialk, works with young adults to support them through challenges and guide them through a path to independence. She has witnessed firsthand the importance of developing student self-sufficiency and stresses the value of social and emotional preparedness to allow students to thrive and find success post-graduation. According to Fialk, “[Educators should] teach social skills because they’re skills. Any type of skill you get better with practice, and if you don’t practice they atrophy over time.”

Illustration by Calla Mcbride.

Instead of establishing strict policies the second that students step into the classroom, teachers should start the year by establishing trust with their students. Ultimately, this will aid us in learning to make our own decisions and experience the consequences. Solutions to the lack of student independence could simply include cutting back on the intense disciplinary reaction to students leaving class for “too long” or allowing students to make their own seating assignments without interference. From there, if students consistently show that they are incapable of acting with both maturity and independence, boundaries should be set. Ultimately, there is an important distinction between regulations needed to create a productive learning environment and those that could be an opportunity for students to develop self-sufficiency. 

Unfortunately, students are currently not sufficiently prepared for life after high school. Earlier this year, a Redwood teacher announced to his class of seniors that he would be enforcing a strict bathroom policy, allowing each student only two bathroom passes per semester. So, if you’ve already peed twice during the five-month semester, it looks like you’re out of luck. To put this tale in greater perspective, according to a 2022 Bark survey, 84 percent of students report that while at Redwood, they have had at least one teacher that imposed a strict bathroom policy or did not let them leave during class. 

This trend of contributing to student lack of independent learning and decision-making is also a by-product of Marin’s “helicopter culture.” This pattern ultimately leads to teens being smothered by the constant hovering of parents, teachers and adults in general who, although may be well-intentioned, often contribute to students’ lack of preparation and independence come graduation. 

In reality, most teachers developed their disruptive policies as a result of the misbehavior of one class and decided that, from there, it was easier to continue their enforcement. The issue with this mindset is that it does not allow students to make decisions regarding their learning or develop skills that contribute positively to their productivity. I’m not saying that students should be able to run wild through the halls, loudly call their BFFs during class or disrupt their teacher to announce that they have to go to the bathroom. I am simply reiterating that we are not “little kids” and should be getting more out of high school than just academic knowledge and where to walk in the hallways without being trampled. We should be developing critical skills that will aid us in becoming independent learners and adults before we ditch the Giants for a new title.  

Redwood Bark • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in