Varsity boys’ lacrosse preview

Photo by Anna Compagno

Senior captains Luke Elders (11) and Harri Hetrick (5) lead on the offensive end of the field.

Anna Compagno, Review Editor

Coming off a heartbreaking 6-5 loss against rival Marin Catholic (MC) in the playoffs last year, the boys’ varsity lacrosse team is determined not to make the same mistakes as they head into their upcoming season. With 16 returning seniors and 17 juniors, along with a few new freshmen and sophomores, the players believe this year’s team is loaded with skill.

According to senior co-captain Harri Hetrick, who has been on varsity since freshman year, the team is pushing their athletic capabilities to the maximum in order to make a strong comeback after last year’s devastating loss.

“Seeing MC and their fans storm the field after they won really stung. A lot of us were on the team when we won MCALs in 2017, so we know what it’s like to both win and lose. It’s definitely something that is motivating us to push ourselves and work even harder this year,” Hetrick said.

Alongside Hetrick, senior co-captain Luke Elders has also been playing varsity lacrosse since he was a freshman. According to Elders, the team has a powerful dynamic due to the fact that a majority of teammates have played together before.

“Our chemistry is definitely going to be a huge aspect of our strengths this year. I’m really excited to see us develop and grow as a team this season,” Elders said.

Along with the MCAL championship, the Giants are also looking to advance further this year in the Northern Coast Section (NCS). In their preseason they have already defeated De La Salle 8-2, who was a runner-up in their NCS Division II last year.

“Our goal this season is to play every game at our fullest potential and consistently play at our level. We’re going to do everything we can to make sure we compete in every single game and leave it all out on the field,” Hetrick said.