Library adds new LGBT section

The new GTSA section includes not only works of GTSA literature, but movies as well

After months of working with the GTSA club, the Bessie Chin Library has opened a new LGBT section of books and DVDs as a resource for teachers and teenagers in the community.

The section contains about 100 books and several dozen movies, and features memoirs, college guides, and novels.

“There are all these stereotypes and inaccuracies about LGBT youth, and we really wanted to have a section where the community could learn about LGBT youth in a positive light,” said President Sasha Perigo.

Club advisor Gary Detore first proposed the idea in early 2012, and Perigo and sophomore Jake Mates began working on a proposal at the end of last spring. The club was granted $3,500 to buy books and other necessary materials.

“I think that it’s important for all people to have access to information about LGBT youth,” Detore said. “Any student can apply for a grant from the Foundation, and so the club decided to try.”

According to Perigo, the club members bought a series of books for the library and also selected some documentaries and LGBT-themed movies. These items were approved by the school board and were added to the library’s collection.

“I think having these things available is good as a community standard,” said librarian Michael Spencer. “Because the DVDs are all R-rated and on a sensitive topic, we keep them behind the front desk and put stickers that say ‘donated to Redwood’ on the covers, but the resources are here and that’s a good thing.”

Perigo said she hopes the new section will also help teachers understand LGBT students and culture.

“Even though teachers are really accepting around here, we’re hoping to give them resources so that it’s easier for history teachers, for example, to incorporate LGBT history into their curriculums,” she said.

The GTSA is hosting a movie night to inaugurate the new section on Friday, Mar. 8 in the library.