Fast Thrifting: How fast fashion continues to harm thrift stores

Across the nation, billions of dollars are spent annually on clothing from local thrift stores. This eco-friendly method of clothing resale has...

Decorated in customized apparel, members of The Woods flaunt their vibrant red t-shirts.
Student-led spirit group ‘The Woods’ encourages attendance at less-appreciated sporting events
Madison BishopApril 13, 2024

On Feb. 13, The Woods emerged as a student-led group to promote school spirit and unify the student body. Its objective is to raise attendance...

Sweet delights at San Rafael Farmers’ Market: Waffle Mania, Brittany Crêpes and KettlePop
Nick HartungApril 10, 2024

As winter draws to a close, the local San Rafael Farmers’ Market is coming alive. Every Sunday, hundreds of farms, shops and stores from across...

Girl’s Lacrosse Eliminated in First Round of NCS Playoffs

On May 11, the girls’ varsity lacrosse team’s season came to an end when they were eliminated in the first round of the NCS playoffs after a 13-7 loss to Oak Ridge High School.

“We played really well. We fought really hard. We were hoping it would have been a little bit closer, but they were a really great team and we came out there and we played great. We had a really fun time,” said senior Kendra Loo.

On May 5, the team lost 17-9 to Marin Catholic in the semifinals which ended their MCAL playoff run. However, they still clinched a competing spot in the NCS playoffs.

“In the final half they started working really well with each other. We had some trouble at the end connecting passes and that lost us the game,” said junior Neeve Kennedy of the Marin Catholic game.

However, the girls were able to keep the score close for a good part of the game.

“We were doing really well at the beginning. We scored the first two goals and we stayed with them,” Kennedy said. “It was very close the whole first half.”

The team did significantly better in the game against Marin Catholic than they did against the same team earlier in the season, according to Kennedy.

“We had hoped to be in the championship again like we were last year,” said Kennedy. “But I do think that we had a really great season. We all bonded really we and played well.”

However, nine of the girls on the team will be graduating this spring.

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 10.10.13 AM
Junior Neeve Kennedy looks to pass to a teammate during a playoff game vs. Oak Ridge High School

“We are losing a number of people which is pretty disappointing because I’ve played with them all of my experience, but I do think that we have some great underclassmen and hopefully we’ll have a couple people coming in as freshman that can potentially be good,” Kennedy said.

This will be a very different transition for the team because last year they only lost one senior.

“It will definitely be hard just because we were really bonded this year. I think it will be definitely a very different team but we had the same problem my sophomore year. We had 10 seniors graduating and we came back stronger and better so I hope that the girls we have on the team now will take this team above and beyond,” Loo said.

Throughout the season, Novato High School consistently stood out as the best team in the league. Novato, who is undefeated, is currently ranked second in the state and sixth in the nation.