Molly GallagherApril 18, 2024

Emma Rosenberg and Penelope TrottApril 18, 2024

Illustration by Zach Dinowitz
Endless screentime: The cost of social media platforms ignoring teenagers’ wellbeing

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a phone in my pocket with some type of social media platform downloaded, whether it was TikTok, Snapchat...

Girl’s Softball Loses in Second Round of NCS Playoffs

On May 27, the Varsity Softball team lost 2-1 to Carondelet in the second round of NCS playoffs, ending their season.

The varsity team finished their season with a 12-4 MCAL record and 21-7 record overall.

The girls believed that the game was well played, despite losing. Going into NCS playoffs, seniors Jenny Resnick and Kayla Rose had high hopes for the team.

Prior to this game, the team beat Northgate 2-0 in the first round of the NCS playoffs on May 24. They played this same team in the first round of MCAL playoffs last year and won then as well.

infographic
Infographic by Isabella Alioto

A few days before the game against Northgate, the team beat Terra Linda 4-1 in the MCAL championship game on May 21.

“We went into the game not expecting Terra Linda. They upset MC in the semis but that didn’t seem to phase us,” said Rose, referring to the game against Terra Linda.

“It was an incredible team experience. We were so pumped [up] coming in. We have played MC for the last two years in the championship game and so it was a very different environment not facing them,” said Resnick.

Overall, the girls on the team consider this to be a successful season, much like last year, especially because they were able to win the MCAL pennant.

However, the team dynamic will be very different next year as six of the girls on the team will be graduating. All six of the seniors have been starting on the varsity team since either their freshman year or their sophomore year.

“We’re losing speed, range, strong arms, strong bats. I think next year is going to have to be a rebuilding season. They are going to have pitching but they’re losing six out of the nine starting positions,” said Resnick.

“People are going to have to shuffle around for sure and find new spots. Same in the batting line-up,” said Rose.