Girls’ varsity lacrosse begins MCAL playoffs with decisive victory over San Marin

Girls’ varsity lacrosse kicked off their MCAL season with a convincing win against San Marin High School on May 5, finishing with a score of 20-1.

“We came out strong today, but there are still some things that need to be worked on,” said senior captain Christine Cook.

Coach Isaac Campbell said that the team has to come out with intensity, moving the ball fast and catching every throw, in order to succeed.

“We have had problems with catching and passing in the past, but it shouldn’t be a problem. We are a varsity team and will show it on the field,” Campbell said.

On Thursday, April 30, the girls’ varsity lacrosse team lost to Novato High School in their eighth and final league game of the season. Despite the loss, the team is still ranked third going into MCAL playoffs.

So far, under the lead of with new head coach Campbell, the girls’ lacrosse team has had a successful season.  Campbell, previously the boys’ JV coach, had never coached girls prior to this season.

However, according to junior Lauren Watkins, Campbell has picked up the girls’ side of the sport quickly.

The Giants are currently in third place in MCAL with University High School in second and Novato in first. According to the players, Novato was the team’s biggest competition in the regular season, and they expect this to hold true for the postseason.

In addition to Novato, the team will be looking out for both Marin Catholic and University, with their only other loss of the season to University. According to Green, the team’s most exciting win of the season was against Marin Catholic at the end of March, when they beat them for the first time in several years.

“The overall goal is to hang banners in the gym and make all others fear Redwood when they see us on their schedule,” Watkins said.

Campbell is hoping for more than just one successful season.

“I don’t look at this as a one-season thing,” Campbell said. “With a JV program in place, we will continue to improve as a lacrosse program and one day, in the near future, we will get back to dominating the MCAL division, like we did up until 2010.”

The team had much more success in the postseasons before 2010 than they have had since then.

The team’s next game will be playing away at University High School on Thursday, May 7.

“We just need to be mentally prepared. We could have beat them before and our team knows,” Cook said.

“Girls are usually more supportive with one another,” Campbell said.“They cheer on their teammates constantly from the sidelines. By the end of the season, I want all of my ladies to say they learned a lot, got into top physical condition, and had a great time playing this great sport.”

Junior Jenny Green competes for a ground ball.